Is Ireland better by train or by car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 1998, 05:20 PM
BB

I'm going to Ireland with 4 people for
2 weeks. Any suggestions on car vs. train?

Old Mar 11th, 1998, 06:55 PM
Emma

Definately car. Ireland is a beautiful country and is best seen with a car, where you can drive the remote countryside and see the real Ireland. Drive around the Dingle Penisula and/or the Ring of Kerry. You'll see more with a car and have more freedom.

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 08:57 AM
Richard

Emma is absolutely correct. Train service in Ireland is not great and destinations are limited. You'll be driving a right hand drive car, but you'll soon get used to that. Make your rental arrangements here. With four people you might want to consider a mini-van. Try Auto-Europe, they have a very good brochure. Most of the interesting roads in Ireland are narrow, so keep your vehicle to a minimum.

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 06:58 AM
Rick

I agree with eveyone else. The best places are reachable by car, and it will allow you to get off the beaten path.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 06:10 AM
Sue Power

Definitely by car.

Train services only go to the main areas and are not the most reliable. Also some of the nicer areas ie Ringe of Kerry, Connemara, Donegal are not accessible by train.

Enjoy the trip

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 08:22 AM
topper

For Maureen.