Search

train -vs- car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 07:47 PM
sheri

train -vs- car

My husband and I are taking a trip to the UK we want to go to the Oban, Glenco area down to the lake district then onto Wales. Would you recommend driving or taking the train and bus. In general how is driving in the UK outside of London

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 05:47 AM
Richard

Once you've mastered the round-abouts, driving in the UK is no problem, it just takes a little more concentration if one is used to driving on the RH side of the road. I have not used trains or buses in the UK so this is a one sided opinion.

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Beth

I think you get more flexibility driving. We drove extensively in Wales (well, my husband did), and it wasn't bad. The roads can be very narrow, with walls or hedgerows very close to the road. But we never ran into much traffic outside of London. One of the most beautiful drives was right through the mountains of central Wales. The road is only one lane, and very windy, but it was gorgeous.

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 08:27 AM
Ben Haines

In Scotland it depends how much country you want to cover. There are seversal trains daily from Oban or from Mallaig and Fort William to Crianlarich and so to Glasgow.You can takes expresses easily from Glasgow to Oxenholme, and hen a branch line to Windermere, but then you're on ocal busses -- picturesque, through narrow roads, but without the flexibility of cars. Then in Wales services include Llandudno , Blaenau Ffestiniog, Porthmadog, Harlech, Barmouth, Aberystwyth, Machynlleth Newtown, Welshpool, Shrewsbury, Craven Arms, Llandrindod, and Swansea. Those are just the trains of the Wales and West company (their times are on www.heulwen.demon.co.uk/trains.htm) and of the Central Trains company (their site is www.centraltrains.co.uk). Beyond these you'll <BR>find notes on preserved or museum railways that go among villages on <BR>www.walesdirectory.co.uk/maps/steamtrains.htm (Steam Trains in Wales) <BR>io.newi.ac.uk/greens/rail.htm (Welsh Preserved Railways) <BR>users.aol.com/WalesRails/little.htm (Welsh railways and the attractions they go to). <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Wecome to Britain. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Kristin

We just returned from a trip to many of the places you mention -- Wales, Glencoe, etc. We did not drive. My husband didn't want to tackle the left-hand stuff. We had a wonderful time taking trains and busses. We used both in Wales and in England, Scotland, as well as Ireland and N. Ireland. You do lose a little flexibility and you have to plan ahead and check on when the trains and busses go. You will probably meet more locals using trains and busses, because you aren't enclosed in your own little car! You also see more scenery riding rather than driving (I'm talking about the driver here). <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 09:25 AM
virginia

Sheri, <BR> <BR>I have been traveling to England and Wales on vacation for the past 6 years and have done both, train (never did buses) and car. Drove all through Wales down through the Cotswolds and had no problem, (think big right and little left when turning) Will be doing the same this year using the train to get to Scotland and back to Chester, picking up a car in Chester and driving around Shropshire and into Wales and then taking the train back to London. The trains are great, comfortable and on time and driving (used the A roads mostly) was no problem at all.

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 12:29 AM
Sheila

You will have far greater flexibility if you drive, but will inevitably find it more tiring. You can certainly do Oban easily by train, and with abit of going back over your tracks you cn alos do the Rannoch Moor route to Fort William. <BR> <BR>Personally I would drive for flexibility, but if you have serious reservations, it can be done by public transport. If you have a clearer notion of your itinerary, let us know and we will see what can be put together for you.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 08:11 PM
Pete & Patty

My husband and I would like to rent a car in Chester, travel through Wales, driving South to Cardiff, then drop off the car at Heathrow. Are there stiff fees for not returning a car to the point of origin?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 07:24 AM
Beth

Patty, it hasn't been my experience that you have to pay dropoff charges if you drop off in a different place. It seems Europe differs from the US in this. Try AutoEurope, they advertise no fees for different dropoffs, even different countries.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:55 AM
Roger

Here is a vote to go by train between major long haul cities and rent a car for a day here and there to do in depth touring. I am a train buff and enjoy the rest and possible naps on the train. A major plus is the people you will meet on the train who could end up being long term friends.. At any rate have a fun trip. <BR>