Is Iceland an bad idea for a honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds crazy, but I have recently become obsessed with Iceland and I have been trying really hard to convince my fiance that an Iceland/Norway trip is a good idea for a honeymoon. He wants to go somewhere with a beach, and we would like to compromise and spend 2 nights in Iceland and then 3-4 nights in either Barcelona or the south of France or the Amalfi Coast. Except this itinerary does not seem to exist. Iceland Air supposedly has a "Take a Break" in Iceland where you just have a day or half day lay over in Reykjavik but the price is $3000+ when I enter the itinerary. Expedia doesn't even offer it and Orbitz is upwards of $3000 too. So I'm thinking my Iceland trip is just a pipe dream at this point, but I still just have this strong desire to go. Maybe I will just have to wait and go at another time. So - tell me - is this doable or not? Am I crazy? Are there any budget airlines that fly into Iceland? I know RyanAir doesn't.

Neither of us are beachy people, but we LOVED Phi Phi Islands & Phuket in Thailand (only for about two days... about our limit for an island for two reasons - sun burn and boredom). Ideally a place that has a big city and also a beach... Or at least a beach with LOTS to do.

So should I just save Iceland for another trip? Not for the honeymoon? If that's the case, where is a good place in Europe for a 5-6 day honeymoon? Our favorite cities we've visited are London, Brugge, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Yokohama, etc... Love modern cities but also love the old too.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Amy

A lot of the answers here would depend on WHEN, as that certainly makes a difference in Iceland. That said, it should be a lovely honeymoon spot and it's got beaches...although you might prefer the geothermally heated outdoor pools and the spas.

The Icelandair Take-a-Break is a great deal, and you can go into some other areas of Europe easily; if you sign up for their newsletter, you can get really good airfare deals. I don't know about going into Barcelona, though; most of the Icelandair connections are to more northern destinations.

Iceland is very beautiful and certainly unique; I'd give it the full six days, myself.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM

I too am attracted to Iceland and long to go there. But I think a honeymoon should be somewhere you BOTH want to go.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Sorry that would help. July 17th is when we would depart Nashville, Tennessee.

Thanks for the advice thus far.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM

I think Iceland is a fabulous idea for a honeymoon. I was there about 5 years ago and it was beautiful. Also, 5-6 days would be a good amount time to spend there. Of course, the only problem is that your fiance wants a beach...

As far as other places in Europe for 5-6 days - how about Portugal? My husband and I are going in May. You could spend some time in the Algarve (beach destination along the Mediterranean) and then spend some time in Lisbon??
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

One problem is the fiance says "there's nothing to do there" - how do I convince him otherwise? He thinks we'll be bored. We both love to shop, sight see, take pictures, and eat at good restaurants. I think it would be perfect for all of these. He just has the mental block of "Iceland" being like the North Pole or something.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:22 PM

What about Denmark? There is great shopping and sightseeing, wonderful food, and beaches (for sunning but not much for swimming; too cold).
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember a very entertaining trip report that made it sound like Iceland has lots to do. I believe this is it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34670021
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM
ira

Hi M,

>Is Iceland an bad idea for a honeymoon?

No.

It's not my first choice, though. I would choose Paris or Venice.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Iceland Air does have a 'Take A Break' that allows you to stay in Iceland for up to 7 nights (when we did this, you could only stay up to 3 nights) in combination with another European destination - we combined Oslo with our trip. Offerings include Finland, Denmark, Paris for starters - unfortunately I wouldn't consider any of these to be beach destinations! There is quite a lot to do in Iceland-it's a breathtaking beautiful country, albeit an expensive one. Do a search on Iceland (or Reykjavik) and you'll find numerous, informative posts to help you plan your trip. Unless you convince him to explore his options in Iceland, or he convinces you to do a beach vacation, then perhaps Iceland isn't the place for you just yet. Just to throw something out there, have you considered Portugal? It's beautiful country with plenty of diverse things to see and do, including a beach! Your honeymoon will be special wherever you finally decide to go.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Amy

Ah, July is a lovely time to be there! And for the "nothing to do" lament, give him this: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1278237

Happy wedding, and I do hope you get to go to Iceland sometime if not this time; it is one of my all-time favorite countries.