Is Greece as beautiful as it seems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Greece as beautiful as it seemed at the Olympics? I've been to Switzerland and Italy these past two years and it was always covered with a haze during the summer. When is the best time to visit? Are the people as friendly as reported? Thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:52 PM

OK, I'll go out on a limb here. To me, beautiful when you're talking about islands is rich, lush, green vegetation. Greece is rocky, barren, and brown for the most part (areas of Crete are one of a couple of exceptions).
Greece to me isn't about the physical beauty of the islands, but it is about the feel of the place. Yes, I think it's very friendly. It's oh so "foreign". It's so relaxed and casual. Yes. Go and experience.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM

From what I saw, I agree with Patrick. Lots of people seem to think the Greek Islands are going to be very lush, which wasn't the case. But there is a wild beauty about it. My vote would be to go in spring when the wildflowers are in bloom, adding splashes of color.

Some men I met were a bit OVER friendly, but never too much to handle.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:06 PM

Yes, it's as beautiful as it seems, but as the other posters have already said, it's a primitive sort of beauty, not a lush, green or tropical environment. The islands are wonderful, the color of the sea spectacular and the sunsets inspirational. Be sure to go to Santorini for some of the most beautiful scenery. The people are very friendly and warm. The best time to go is just before or after the peak season, say early May through June, or in September.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:11 AM

The Aegean islands are barren at least in the fall when the sun has parched the earth brown, but the islands on the Ionnian side are green. But certainly not tropical, nothing in Europe is tropical. Aegian islands is what people most often associate with Greece, but I for one am heading mainland mountain area on my next trip to Greece.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:17 AM

Yes, it is beautiful. Strange, I would never have thought about it not being "lush"--that isn't Greece. The sea is just so stunningly beautiful. The people are true xenophiles--love foreigners. It is now on my "remind my husband we have to go" list.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:28 AM

The blue of the sky and the Aegean is even MORE blue than in those famous Santorini photos; the white is blindingly so.

The place was, as they say, "Chosen by the Gods" and for good reason.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:04 PM

We were in the Peloponnese in the spring and it is very beautiful. At that time of year, it was quite green with wildflowers everywhere. The sky is intensely blue and the light is like no place I have ever seen.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 01:06 AM

Aneckc,
Greece is very beautiful and if you choose the right places you'll have a great time.
As Patrick mentioned, Greece is not a tropical country but a mediterranean one. That said, of course there is not green, rich, lush vegetation in the cyclades but you won't visit Greece for the vegetation, right?
If you want green islands, there are lots of those as well. The ionian islands, the sporades (skiathos, skopelos, alonisos), Thasos, etc. etc.
But is seems a little weird to be interested about greenery when you cant find in the cyclades the most amazing white and blue...
Yes people are friendly, and the best time to come really depends on what your interests are. But generally late May, June, September are great if you don't want lots of tourists on the islands.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:39 AM

And what about those beautiful towns and villages and of course the food !!!!
I was there in June - the weather was perfect and I don't recall haze being a problem.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:58 AM

Ionians are the best and most beautiful islands in greece. Great food, great people - they are wonderful.

Avoid Rhodes and Crete though - hellholes
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:23 PM

Rhodes and Crete, hellholes?? Sounds like you had a bad time. Rhodes is fantastic (if one avoids the modern city and package hotels on the east side). While I haven't been to Crete, I've never heard anyone describe it close to that.

There's something very magical about Greece, and as cliched as they may sound, I don't know any other way to describe it. Been three times and I can't wait to get back. Each year, it always comes down to: a new place or Greece...

Bruce
http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow Bruce- your pictures were gorgeous! Wonderful, professional. I loved them. Guess I've got to go to Greece to see for myself.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Crete and Rhodes are hellholes???
Obviously somebody didn't see much of Crete and Rhodes!!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bruce, what fabulous pictures. Thank you very much for sharing. I agree with you, Greece is just magical.

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Just viewed the pics Bruce made. What exquisite talent !
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Simple answer to the question: Yes.

Crete is fantastic, but you have to avoid the over-developed east and south coasts, and that little hellhole of a capital, Heraklion.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Correction: I should have said northeast and southeast coasts.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Marilyn, maybe Scarlett is going to Heraklion!
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Barbara, LOL!
I could actually list a number of cities I would call hellholes, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -