Reload this Page >

Is Germany worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2001, 02:56 AM
peter

Hello everyone! <BR>Just found this forum and I think it is great. I read a lot - but still I am not sure where to go an a honeymoon trip with my wife. <BR>I heard so many great things about Germany and want to know if you think it is worth a trip. Any suggestions? <BR>Thanks, Peter

Old May 11th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Russ

It certainly is if you go to some cool places like Cochem. Here's a photo. <BR> <BR>www.roadstoruins.com/Cochem.html <BR> <BR>You could even get married in this castle's little chapel if you want - it's a busy place for weddings in June. Just contact the local tourist office.

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Philip

I think Germany would be an excellent choice. Especially visiting some of the small towns in Bavaria. <BR> <BR>Check out Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You can ride a cable car to the top of the Zugspitze to get a wonderful view of the Alps. <BR> <BR>Of course Munich & Berlin are great for the bigger city experiences. <BR> <BR>Just one thing: In all of the hotels I've stayed at in Germany, a double bed consisted of two singles pushed together (two matresses, one bedframe). Some people might find it a bit unromantic lying in the crack between the two matresses.

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Miriam

Hello Philip, <BR> <BR>I had that problem, too. Just ask for a Kingsize. Most hotels have them. But I think in one of the Hilton`s in Duesseldorf I know every room, because they have sent us from one room to another and I always called the front desk to tell them:Nice room, but there are TWO beds... <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old May 11th, 2001, 05:45 AM
richardab

YES! Germany is worth a trip. Stick to southern Germany (Bavaria). I just got back from munich and loved it. It was a big surprise. Lots of shopping, sights and the food was great (you have to like German style food). There are also a lot of day trips that ypu can take. <BR> <BR>Do a search and look for my posting "My Munich Trip Report" or simply entering "Munich" will probably bring it up

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Lee

Peter, <BR> <BR>My wife Mary and I did exactly that, we spent our honeymoon in Germany in July, '97. <BR> <BR>We arrived in Frankfurt and stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Sachsenhausen (SE Frankfurt) for three days, using it as a base for day trips. We spent the first day in town at the Romersplatz, Sachsenhausen, etc; We spent one day in Rothenburg, arriving early and leaving late; Our last day was spent just south in Heidelburg, visiting the castle and downtown. <BR> <BR>We then headed over to the Middle Rhine and stayed at the Villa Rheinfels in St. Goar, which is up above the river and town built adjacent to a castle ruin. This turned out great and allowed us to spend two days in and around the area. <BR> <BR>Leaving the region, we headed next to Munich and stayed at the Crowne Plaza and stayed there visiting the city. We headed to Garmisch and visited Ettal, Linderhof and Oberammergau, staying in Oberammergau. As we left Oberammergau, we visited the Weiskirche and then Neuschwanstein Castle, driving along the "Romantic Road". <BR> <BR>We then completed our trip by heading back to Franfurt, staying near the airport at Langen, flying out the next day. <BR> <BR>It was a fantastic trip and about as good as it can get. I did have the advantage of living there some years ago, so I knew my way around, but believe me, it's not difficult at all. This kind of trip may be a good one for you.

Old May 11th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Dave

Actually, the amazing thing I learned about German food is that I liked it. Even if you don't like "German" food, I really enjoyed the roast chicken, Haxen, Wienerschnitzel, and Bretzels. Not at all like mom's sausages and sauerkraut.

Old May 11th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Jen

I went to Germany for the first time in March and had a fantastic time! We went to Munich and Kempten in Bavaria. The food was great, the people friendly (particularly as you got further from the city) and clean, clean, clean! Maybe it's just me being a NYer and not used to that but I was so impressed on how clean, efficient and well-designed everything was. I would agree with a few of the other posts that Bavaria is an excellent place to visit.

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:03 AM
richardab

These people are right, Bavaria is excellent. The food is great and it is safe and spotlessly clean. I lovbed the shopping and all those fine tuned German knives and gadgets. I agree the people are VERY friendly and everyone speaks good English.

Old May 11th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Art

I totally concur with above. I love Bavaria, but also the Frankfurt/Wiesbaden area. We used to go castle hopping almost every Sunday with a picnic basket. There are so many of them and the Rhein and Mosel areas are beautiful. I lived right on the Rhein for a couple of years and it was great. I also loved German food. One of my favorites was sauerbraten mit Kartofal Kloesse (potato dumplings). You'll have a great time and as said the German people are very friendly. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>