IS GERMANY SAFE?

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:21 AM
Steve

IS GERMANY SAFE?

How safe is this country? I've been told that foreigners are still often attacked by right-wing mobs and that refugees and Turks have been burnt to death. Is this happening throughout the country or just in certain areas?

Dec 21st, 1999, 11:49 AM
Lee

Steve: Germany is a safe place, relatively speaking. Most US cities pose more of a threat personally than anywhere in Germany.

I lived in Frankfurt in the mid 80's and traveled to just about every larger city as well as two return trips (in '97 and again this year) and can't recall anytime when I felt unsafe. Day or night.

I was living there at the height of terrorist activity and although there were plenty of incidents, I didn't have any problem. Violent crime is not all that common although you need to watch out for pickpockets.

Have a good trip!

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:06 PM
Cheryl

If you continue to let the media think for you, you will never experience life. you will continue to live your life comfortably numb. Europe is much safer than the place you're in now.

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:59 PM
harzer

I agree with the post above. No problems in Germany. How would they identify you as a foreigner anyway, unless maybe you are coloured. Just keep away from hotspots like Cologne or Frankfurt main station at 3am or Hamburg's Reeperbahn late at night. I am Australian and lived 20 years in Germany and never had any problem whatsoever. Remember, 99% of the people are not armed, and there is a police presence in big cities. The foreigners being targeted are indeed nearly always Turks or maybe Africans. So, don't get around with a turban or headscarf on.
And Germany is a wonderful ocuntry to explore and discover, so don't be put off by these stories.

Dec 21st, 1999, 07:59 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors. IS GERMANY SAFE?

I ewas in Berlin five days in September last, an obvious foreigner (though it's true I was white, and on a bicycle) and had no trouble, nor read of any in the Berliner Zeitung. If there are troubles then consuls hear of them. You can have useful advice from four

from Australia on http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice
from Britain on http://193.114.50.10/travel
from Canada on http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-e.asp, under "Travel Reports"
from the USA on http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html
Some experienced American travellers find the American site over-cautious. It is therefor useful to check all four sites.

I do not see Cheryl's diatribe as justified.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Dec 22nd, 1999, 09:33 AM
Helen

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling Steve is just having a bit of fun with us.

For those of you who don't frequent the Fodor's U.S. board, a bit of background: There's a posting impugning Florida as a place to visit/live, that's provoked a strong reaction, in part because of its anti-foreigner (at least, non-European foreigner) stance. There were around 75 replies, last time I looked. It's not pretty.

A couple of days ago someone started a satirical thread called "Is Mars Safe?," which people are using as a platform for their reactions to the Florida thread.

So maybe my perspective is tainted by what I've seen on the U.S. board, but in that context Steve's posting reads as a sly commentary on the others, rather than a sincere request for info or reassurance about visiting Germany. In other words, just another tempest in a Fodor's teapot.

Dec 22nd, 1999, 10:58 AM
elvira

Germany, at least, has no Christmas-shopping polar bears.

Dec 22nd, 1999, 12:06 PM
Helen

Maybe I should launch "Is Norway Safe?"

Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:12 PM
lola

How 'bout "Is Fodor's Forum Safe"?

Dec 22nd, 1999, 02:51 PM
Al

If you decide to go to Germany, be sure
to take along a washcloth. They sell washcloths there, but they have training wheels.

I'm just pulling your leg...just as you are pulling ours!