Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Florence in northern Italy or Southern?

Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

I need to know if Florence Italy is in the South or North. Does anybody have any links to maps of Italy?
Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:57 AM

Florence is in Tuscany which is considered Northern Italy. Anything north of Rome is Northern Italy.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:58 AM

I consider Florence to be in the middle of the country. It's the largest city in Tuscany region.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
ira

Hi muffin,

Try www.multimap.com.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:16 AM

"Florence" will appear on a map under its Italian name of Firenze. It's definitely in northern Italy.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
ira

Hi Geoff,

On www.multimap.com, you can enter "Florence".
Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:42 AM

Yes I definitely agree, Florence is North Italy.
I remember when that hot-headed minister called Umberto Bossi had the insane idea to divide Italy in two separate countries: (the REAL Italy, where people really worked and did not steal money or sleep all day, to the north, from the TERRONIA or land of thieves, to the south), he wanted to draw a line at Florence. Florence was North, below it, it was Terronia.
He is still around, still in the Italian parliament, always utopically threatening to divide Italy.
Just an anecdote...
Rome is considered central ITaly, Florence is more than 300 kilometres north.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:10 AM
rex

In addtion to multimap, try mapquest.com or viamichelin.com or mappy.com or http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/italy.html

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:57 AM

It's in neither.

Most people - like Italian marketing companies, ISTAT, the Italian statistics agency, and the EU - who divide Italy into zones talk about Nord (Lombardy, Tre Veneti, Piedmont/Val d'Aosta), Centro (Tuscany, Umbria, Emilia-Romagna, Marche or Marches depending on what you think the English is, and usually Rome), and Sud/Isole (the rest, including Lazio apart from Rome).

On this basis, Florence is in the Centro. And Northern Italians regard it as in the Centro. Florentines agree.

BUT, there's an odd American confusion. Many Italian migrants to the US came from the Deep South, and used to regard anything north of Rome (or in some parts of New Jersey, anywhere north of Caltanissetta) North. So Italian restaurants in the US often describe Florentine or Bolognese cooking as Northern.

Provincial and by official Italian standards, plain wrong. And to a Milanese downright silly. But it's how the Neapolitans and Sicilians saw things.

And who are today's administrators, salesmen and Eurocrats to tell them different? Especially if they hail from Caltanissetta.
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:07 AM
JonJon

I somehow do NOT think i am the least bit confused when I look on a map and I see Florence and I decide it is NOT in "southern" Italy..of course, the Milanese have long ago decided that anyone south of Lombardy is some sort of barbarian but what would they know?

Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
ira

Flanneruk notes

>Many Italian migrants to the US came from the Deep South, and used to regard anything north of Rome (or in some parts of New Jersey, anywhere north of Caltanissetta) North. <

Shucks, where I now reside in Central Georgia, South Carolina is considered North.

(About the only places considered South are Alabama, Louisiana and Florida above Jacksonville.)
Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
cmt

Central. If the choices are limited to north or south, then it would be considered north. But really it's in central Italy.