Is Florence busier than Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're just beginning our planning for our trip next April to Venice and are considering also spending 5 or so days in Florence. However, I'm concerned that compared to Venice it's going to be really busy. We usually visit Venice in winter - because we hate crowds and heat - and I realise that Venice will also be busier than we're used to, but as this trip is to celebrate a BIG birthday (one of those ones with a 0 at the end!), April it will have to be.
Several people have relayed tales about Florence's 3 hour lines to get into museums, the crush on the streets etc and I'm now wondering if we wouldn't be better to give Florence a miss this time and wait until we go back one winter rather than visit and hate it.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Mary-that's a bit of an exaggeration, and April, unlike the end of May and June-July is not high season in Florence. I think April is a fantastic time to go-still not too hot, flowers blooming, really lovely time. Just remember, if you get tickets towards the end of the day during the week-Tues.-Thurs. for the museums, you won't be waiting in long lines to get in, and should have the museums pretty much to yourselves to enjoy. (Bargello is open only during the mornings).

The tourist crush really doesn't get underway until late May-June. Go and enjoy.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM

If you avoid the Easter Holiday, the crowd shouldn't be too bad. Once I visited Florence around Easter, it was packed.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Ummm, have you considered other Italian destinations where you will be virtually guaranteed no crowds but a marvelous time and marvelous artworks?

Consider Verona as a base. Or Perugia. (Does anybody in the birthday crowd like chocolate?) How about Pisa?

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Hello maryk, I agree that Florence in April should be beautiful. Easter Sunday next year is on April 8th. And do remember that in Italy the Monday after Easter is a holiday also for Italians.

If you could go to Florence after the Easter celebration you should be quite pleased with your visit.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the reponses. We are also planning to visit other areas both in Italy & Switzerland, and had also factored Easter in as a time to avoid.