Is Edinburgh worth it?

Mar 27th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Matt

Is Edinburgh worth it?

I am a budget traveller. I've been to France, Italy, Denmark, Prague, Vienna, Brussels and have never paid more than $65 per night for lodging for my family of 4. Now I am looking into Edinburgh and its surroundings and can't find anything less than $85 for the 4 of us. Note: I will not be flying there because I already live in Europe, therefore I can get to European destinations rather inexpensively. Is it worth it to experience Scotland for...., I just answered my own question. Of course it is worth an extra $100 - $150 to go there if it might be the only time I'm ever there. Life should be enjoyed, not squandered. Any suggestions on cheap lodging for 4 near Edinburgh?

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:47 AM
Ben Haines

Outside university term there are heaps of room in Poollock Halls, ten minutes by bus and 30 on foot from the city centre. Detail is on http://www.edinburghfirst.com/accomm.../serviced.html

In August, I am afaid, there are now very few rooms available in Edinburgh. You can book for August 2003.

Ben Haines, London

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Keith Legg

Is Edinburgh worth it?

Is the Pope a Catholic?!

You don't say when you want to go - as Ben says, August gets booked up pretty quickly because of the Festival. You can book into Pollock Halls from approximately June to the end of September.

You say you're not flying there because you already live in Europe and can get there inexpensively - but why not look at the budget airlines?

Mar 27th, 2002, 04:50 AM
x

I dunno, how much is an 'it' worth?

(I'm going, I'm going....)

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:54 AM
marie

Matt, have you tried Travelodge in St Mary's Street (just off the Royal Mile, very central)? We go to Edinburgh frequently, since we live through in Glasgow and have often stayed there. It's a standard £49.95/$71.15 for the room. Every time we've been there we've seen lots of family groups. The rooms are a fairly good size and are furnished in a comfortable contemporary style. Incidentally, we've managed on two separate occasions to get accommodation there at fairly short notice bang in the middle of the festival.

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Matt

Thanks Ben & Marie for the suggestions. I looked at the website Ben suggested and have tried to call but I have only gotten the answering machine. Ben, if you look at this post again, can you give me suggestions on self-catering web sites in the South part of England near Bath.

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:29 PM
pamr

Have you tried any hostels? many have family rooms.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Ben Haines

For Matt: Sorry, I have no information.