Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Durham an Easy Stop on the Way From Edinburgh to York?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems from reading guidebooks that a stop in Durham would certainly be worth our time. I was planning to spend about four hours in the town and visiting the cathedral, is this enough time? Are there locations to store luggage while you do this?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:59 AM

It is certainly easy and certainly worth it. Are you driving? If not, and I take it you would be using the train, it is still easy, but more expensive. <BR>If you have a return (round trip) ticket, say from London to Edinburgh and back, or York to Edinburgh and back, and the ticket is NOT an Apex style one (ie. one booked ahead with lots of restrictions) then you can break your journey (but please check with the issuer or train conductor on the way up.) If not, you will have to buy different tickets for each leg of the journey. Ie. Ed'burgh to Durham and then Durham to London. This could add up, so use www.thetrainline.com or www.gner.co.uk to book the cheapest point-point tickets. (NB We call one-way tickets 'single' tickets.) <BR>However, if you have a BritRail pass you can use it 'free', in effect. <BR>Confusing, I know, but don't get caught out.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:17 AM

We did it in 1998 and it was very easy and well worth the stop. <BR><BR>The cathedral, the primary reason for a visit, was outstanding!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it will be by train, and we have a rail pass, so the ticket is of little concern.<BR><BR>But what I do have a concern about is where I can store my luggage for a few hours, are there locations for this?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM
ron

I think you are going to have to be pretty creative to find luggage storage. The train station won’t have a formal left luggage facility. So unless you can charm the ticket agent or someone at the tourist office in the Market Place to look after it for you, I think you will be lugging it around. I have once been able to leave luggage for a couple of hours at a TIC, but that was off-season in an unbusy place – not something they would want to do as a matter of course, especially in a busy place like Durham. By the way, it is 15 minute or so walk from the train station to the centre of Durham, with some elevation change, a bit of a challenge with luggage.