is Croatia difficult without a car?

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Croatia difficult without a car?

Hi, My son (20) and i are planning a trip to Croatia at the end of May.. Been reading a lot on this board and thank you for so much great information. Right now the plan is to fly from US to Rome, then Rome to Split. We are thinking of staying a couple of nights in Split or Trogir, then heading to Dubrovnik and doing day trips from there. Total time in Croatia probably 7 nights. Will it be difficult to travel around without renting a car? thanks !!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:28 AM

help out
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Not at all difficult without a car. We wandered all over the islands and up and down the coast using only public transportation. It was convenient, clean, safe, and inexpensive.

It would be silly to take a car to the islands, paticularly with your short stay. Car ferries are slow, as compared to the fast passenger only catamarran ferries, and for the amount of time you will be spending, the expense would not be justified.

From Split, ferries go to Hvar, for example, in little more than an hour or so, making a short trip practical. Same goes for busses between Split and Trogir. The bus from Split to Dubrovnik takes about four and a half hours and gives you the opportunity to see some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world, rahther than having to concentrate on staying on the twisty road.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

thank you (both) so much! (i guess my original post didnt go where i thought it was going... Croatia...took me a while to find it again. lol, i crack myself up) I appreciate the valuable info. and SO looking forward to this trip.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

What about public transport to towns/villages of Lipovljana and Treglova, east of Zagreb?