Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Castleisland a good place to stay for a week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We thought we were renting a cottage for a week on the Kerry coast in Ballingskelligs, but the owner took a month long rental at the last minute.....grrrrrr.....

So now I'm back to looking for a self catering cottage. Found this place that might be available (he'll know for sure on Monday). www.cottagemaryrose.com. It's 3 miles from Castleisland. Has anybody stayed in Castleisland? Would this be a good base for our trip to Ireland? We had hoped to be walking distance from the ocean, and this would be a 12 mile drive. But it does look central. I haven't really researched the area as much as the penninsulas though and don't know anything about it.

Our other option is a cottage in Ardgroom, in county Cork which is available. http://www.vrbo.com/60685 It is near the water, but my fear is that it may be a rocky beach area. Our 7 year old son walks with crutches and really rocky terrain would be hard for him to get around.

I'd appreciate any opinions on the two choices. Or if anybody has other options that might still be available for the last week in August. Our budget is $800 U.S.

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM

I am jumpin this ttt, because I am also interested in finding lodging in Ireland for a family. We want to be centrally located for day trips. Hopefully someone will see this and comment. I think the cottage looks nice and the price is very reasonable.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

I found a couple of other possibilities in Castlegregory, and one or two (priceier) in Dingle or Kenmare. Anyone care to comment on these towns as possibilities to stay for a week? I want to stay away from the "vacation villages" and in a house/cottage that feels more real.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Edmundus

Castleisland is a small town but it is only about a dozen miles from Killarney National Park,one of Ireland`s major tourist areas.Once you get there you can drive for mile after mile through really beautiful scenery or go for walks in the park. Admission is free but there is a charge for three places in the park-Muckross House,Ross Castle and the Traditional Farms, all worth a visit.Other places which you can visit as day trips include The Ring of Kerry,Dingle Peninsula,Beara Peninsula and Mizen Head.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Six of us rented a house in Killorglin last June. Details and pix are accessable through the thread ROUND IRELAND IN A MINI BUS - THE GUILTY PLEASURES TOUR.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34679685

The place was convenient to town center and close to both Killarney and Dingle. Two of our party actually did a quick, day-trip to Galway, one day, but I wouldn't recommend going that far.
Another good LOCATION for a base (in my opinion) is the town of Millstreet, in North Cork, approx. 1/2 - 3/4 hour from both Killarney and Cork City. You can check out the area at:
www.millstreet.ie
Bob