Is Blenheim worthwhile?

Sep 28th, 2002, 02:27 PM
abby

Is Blenheim worthwhile?

Need to trim down some of the sights we will be seeing. Is Blenheim Palace worth the trip?

Sep 28th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Leslie

Love the place! If you are going to Oxord anyway it's so close it would be a shame to miss it.

Sep 28th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Moonbeam

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!! And churchill's burial place, nearby

Sep 28th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Serena

Yes, It is beautiful and very interesting. A "Must See".

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Bob

We enjoyed the tour of the castle and also took the secondary tour of the private quarters of the owners. This is done when they are not home. Check on this also.

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:36 PM
James

You should leave it on your short-list of places to visit, being aware it is closed annually late October - mid March. The official website:
http://www.blenheimpalace.com/

Sep 28th, 2002, 04:59 PM
janis

Of Course it is worth it. It is among the 2 or 3 best stately homes in the country (others being Chatsworth, Castle Howard, 1 or 2 others.)

It is NOT a castle. It is a fabulous palace with Capability Brown designed grounds/lake, beautiful gardens, etc.

Perhaps you more need to tell us what else is on your list - maybe something else could be cut.

Sep 28th, 2002, 07:06 PM
winner

Is Blenheim worth it? Is history worth it? Is landscaping worth it? Ask yourself and you will know.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Shelley

Well, I certainly agree with the rest of those who answered your question. We saw Blenheim on our first trip to England, skipped it on the second because we concentrated on the southeast. But when we returned a year ago with my siser and family, we made sure to stop there, as well as Warwick Castle. And when we return with friends next summer --- you guessed it! It is on our must-see list again. Not that WE need to see it so many times, but everyone should see it once!

Sep 29th, 2002, 11:05 AM
JMM

YES !

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Jeff

Recently returned from our first trip to England and one of the highlights was Blenheim. When comparing it to most castles and historic homes, my wife and I found it the most impressive.

Sep 30th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Jean

It was beautiful! The letters from Winston Churchill to his family were most interesting. Staff (security?) were most helpful in answering questions. Most enjoyable!