Is Anyone from Detroit?

Search

Is Anyone from Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Anyone from Detroit?

I have a 5 hour layover in Detroit and wondered if there is somewhere near the airport that I could go via public transportation (preferably shopping).
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM

There is no "public transit" near the airport from what I know...and very little to do in Detroit in terms of shopping unless you hit some of the malls/outlets which are kind of far from the airport and no public transit would take you there. We live in West Bloomfield which is a suburb of Detroit and have yet to hear of any noteworthy shopping destinations in Detroit.
Having said that,if you're flying North West airlines, the new airport terminal is pretty big and offers various options -shopping destinations etc.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Have to agree, nothing near the airport, which is actually in Romulus. No easy transportation to Detroit or even Westland Mall (w/excellent Olga's Kitchen Restaurant). The NWA wing does have improved food & shopping but you still better bring a book! Bon Voyage
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Hi,, Detroit residents, not to highjack this thread (as I am) but I have a question.

My several last trips to Italy have been from SFO/Amsterdam/Venica via KLM.

But I now live further from SFO and found last couple of trips a workout due to getting to SFO and getting home from SFO.

I can take NWA from Sacramento (about 30 minutes from where I live) to Detroit, change planes, fly to Amsterdam change planes again and then onto Venice.

I would prefer to have one change of plane (KLM) versus two change of planes (NWA) but would also prefer to leave from Sacramento and arrive back to Sacramento.

Have read several times the terminal for NWA in Detroit is very good.

Question. If I took NWA does anyone know if when I get off the plane in Detroit can I stay in the secure area to catch my plane to Amsterdam. Or do I have to go outside of the secure area and consequently go through security again. I know my luggage will be sent straight through to Venice.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:01 PM

My sister did a similar trip from SJC to DTW to AMS and she didnt have to switch terminals or go through security check since all code shares share the terminal...but I think it also depends on your gate assignment...
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM

If you fly in and out with NWA you will not go through security at Detroit.

Olga's Kitchen? That brings back memories. I'm glad to hear there are some left. Most have long closed, including the only one that was out here in Kansas City.

My ex-wife really liked Olga's when we lived in East Lansing and we "collected" them as we moved or traveled.

Keith
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks Keith, I rather thought that but was not sure.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM

I live in the metro Detroit area and the Fairlane Mall in Dearborn isn't too far from the airport, but you'd probably have to take a taxi to get there and back. There are a couple of the nicer hotels by the mall so you could possibly check into an airport shuttle. I don't know if it would really be worth it - it's a mall like every other large mall. Greenfield Village & Henry Ford Museum is also in nearby Dearborn, but you wouldn't have enough time for that.

The NW terminal at DTW is pretty new - only a few years old. There are some shops and restaurants to kill some time.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.....a good book and airport shopping it is!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:23 PM

5 hours is a long layover, but there some atypical airport shopping in the Northwest terminal, such as Brooks Brothers, the Ora Oxygen spa (where you can get a massage), the unique Pangborn Collection store, plus a lot of typical airport stuff. Fairlane (a big typical mall in Dearborn with Marshall Fields, Lord & Taylor, JC Penney and Sears as anchors) and Ann Arbor (about 20-25 minutes west) are dooable, but you'd definitely need to take a cab.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM

I know there's nothing I can do about this now, but is one hour, ten minutes going to be a long enough layover, coming from Tulsa and going to Paris on Northwest? This is happening next week; just wondering if I should put it on my worry list.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:38 AM

Jocelyn_P, if your flight is on time, that is pleanty of time.

Keith
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM

Thank you, Keith.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM

Hi - there is also a great Westin hotel right in the Northwest terminal (you can actually go through security directly from the hotel right to the gate area). They have a relatively good (albeit expensive) restaurant with some great wines. Plus, if you are a smoker, you can smoke in their bar area. They have a really great workout room and pool.

Also - I think they offer partial stay rates. I'm pretty sure I read about someone who checked in for about 6 hours in the afternoon to nap and shower between flights.

I travel through DTW once a month and usually spend a night at this Westin. The airport and Westin are actually located in Romulus, MI.