Is airconditioning important in June in Rome? Part 2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to start a new thread but can't seem to post a reply to my question today.
I was surprised at comments to my last reply until I re-read it.
I am very sorry if I appeared ungrateful or critical of anyones responses, especially you, Rex, I was joking. When I re-read my response it didn't sound like I was joking.
I do appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and give me information.
Rex I do appreciate your replies, they are always informative and I enjoy reading them. So I hope I didn't offend you in any way.
Starrsville, I didn't explain myself very well, sorry about that.
When we arrive mid-may in Rome the aircondtioned apartment was already booked, only the un-airconditioned was left and I was so tired of looking for accommodation, I just booked it. I was more concerned about mid-June when we finish our italy trip in Rome. I still had a choice between the 2 apartments. It seemed better to stay in the un-airconditioned apartment again, being larger, already familiar with area by then, and easier to find again. But, I would only forgo that apartment if airconditioning was a must. My comments did sound like I was being critical and just wanted to apologise for that.
Ginder
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM
rex

I'm surprised that they closed it also. My response was snippier than necessary. Apology accepted... and offered right back to you.

Hope you're able to make a good choice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 05:29 AM

i didn't catch up on the old thread, but i lived in an apartment for a month in june with no air conditioning near piazza bologna with a host family while studying abroad in Rome. We opened the window everynight to get some air flowing, but the rail tracks were about 75 yards from out building. i'm a heavy sleeper so it wasn't bad.

If you don't deal with heat well, and it's toward the end of June, i'd get the A/C. i sweat a lot, and had to sleep at night with no sheet on, and practically naked, and still was pretty warm. Is it a must? no, if you can deal with heat well, then it's not. if you're from a cooler climate and not used to heat, it's a must.

is air conditioning in florida in june a must? it's similar to that, but with less humidity.

most days i was there approached 100-105 degrees. i don't care if there is humidity, it's hot.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bradykp for your opinion.
Hi Rex, I was dreading the fact that you might not reply to any of my posts, my loss. I am so glad you did.
Best wishes to you too.
Ginder
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM

anytime. i often listen to rex on here, as he's been answering my posts since 2001.

i guess it comes down to what you can tolerate. i personally won't do rome again in june without A/C, but i didn't have a choice as a student last time.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:57 AM

As I replied to a query re Prague: This is sooo personal - some need a/c no matter what and where they are, others can't sleep with a/c - too chilled, dries out the air, hard to control in most places, or too noisy when it comes on and goes off. In which category are you? Do you have and use it at home?

Since fully integrated (ducted) central a/c is not the norm in the European cities where most buildings are at least 100 years old, make sure you're not getting one of those window-mounted a/c contraptions that make more noise than the traffic outside if you were to leave the windows open.

WK
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM

i've used the wall mounted units, and while they aren't quiet, you get used to the consistent buzz. much easier than you get used to sleeping in a pool of salty water.

i just finished reading the original thread and i agree with one of the poster's who said something about the humidity: i was warned it was warm but it was "dry heat"

well i live in nyc area, and grew up in northeast PA, both which get humid in the summer.

humidity or not, above 90 degrees is hot. i vote for A/C. you should be ok in may though without it, but it'll be close.

i dont really understand what you're choosing between though, as i found plenty of places cheap enough to not even consider this as a dilemna.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Ginder -

Here's the link to your original thread >
Is airconditioning important in June in Rome?
~ ~ http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34750351

And for future note, all you have to do is either enter your name in search function or click on your name and should be able to pull up your other threads.

Regarding the AC issue .... I've only been to Rome during Spring/Fall, however depending on where the apt is located, the city can be fairly noisy ... and if you're planning to leave the windows open, the noise factor can be a problem. For myself (& being a light sleeper), I'd definitely forego space in preference for air-conditioning.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I have been to Rome in June, Aug, and Sept, and needed AC each time. One year, in June, the soles of my shoes actually melted. It can get very hot and humid. We walked 7-8 hours a day and were so happy to return to our air conditioned room to get a good nights sleep and rehydrate.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
rex

note to Tess... Ginder didn't say that the earlier post cannot be found (by clicking on one's own name) - - but rather that it is no longer possible to post further replies to it.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Don't know about Rome but I've heard mosquitoes are a problem in Italy in the summer.

So not having to open the windows could be desirable, unless you're above the second or third floor, where the mosquitoes don't reach.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Don't need A/C if you like to sweat.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM

wco81 -- Boy, I could have used that bit of information about mosquitos when I went in October 2003. We had 4 nights in Rome in a 4th floor walk-up B&B (It was $90 Euros/night and terribly close to the Trevi, and given the time of year I didn't think Rome would be so warm).

I about got eaten alive by mosquitos given the heat and the rain that drove them in to find me.

Ginder -- I found Rome's air to be pretty darn humid on top of warmer than I expected in October -- I'd go for the AC.

Jules
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your comments.
I am not used to a/c. I live in Western Australia where it's hot. This week we have hit 37degC.It's usually a dry heat, but, when there is humidity it's difficult to bear. Most houses have evaporative a/c, so, when we get the humidity as well, the evaporative's don't work that great. I suppose it's better than nothing. Our house usually get's strong breezes from the ocean,so, it's usually not a problem. But, having a young child with us, makes me more careful with booking accommodation, planning trip, etc.
I did ask my Uncle who lives in Rome, whether we would need a/c and he seemed to think no. But, he is used to it, of course.
I'm supposing that traffic noise, humidity may make things more of a challenge with sleeping with windows open.
wco81 I liked your comment on mosquitoes.
Bradykp I have limited myself by wanting to stay in San Giovanni area or surroundings so we are between rome and where my uncle lives. That way it is easier for us to see our relatives in rome. I thought,too, an apartment would be better for us. The price, too, of these 2 apartments was reasonable for Rome for our budget.
Actually,my uncle is a bit shocked that I have planned and booked my accommodation from home. He asked me how I knew how to find good places to stay and how I knew so much already about the trains and so on. I told him "on the internet", I couldn't say Fodors website because It would have taken too much time to explain in my broken italian what "fodors" was. He was very impressed, nonetheless, and it was all due to everyone's generous comments.
Thank you very much.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM

We were in Rome in late June in 2005. You need A/C.

Southern Europe has been getting warmer in recent years. Having A/C at night is a blessing.

We stayed at the Teatro de Pompeio and liked its location, staff and A/C.

Good luck.

Anthony
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:36 AM

DEFINATE A/C!

On a previous trip I was in Rome in October and the noise from outside, plus the family across the way was so loud that I turned on the A/C just for some background "white noise".

Sleeping with a sheet and a thin blanket was a perfect solution; and since you're going in June, you'll need it.

Regards,

Melodie
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM

jules4je7

what b&b did you stay at in rome near the trevi?