Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is AC important in Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying for several nights in late June and early July in these 3 cities, in our first trip to Scandinavia. Looking at average high temperatures, it doesn't seem likely that air conditioning would be a big deal, but I realize those are just averages. I am wondering whether travelers with some experience in the region believe it is important in any or all of these cities to be sure the hotels are air conditioned.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I'm thinking of installing pre-heating from Webasto into my new car to be able travel to Norway in Summer. I don't want to freeze to death.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM

I also went camping to Scotland in August once. So I think I can claim I am able to survive in cold, windy and rainy conditions.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM

JD:

we drove as far north as Tromso in mid-August...didn't once touch the aircon in auto...and sure didn't need any in lodgings.
Same for Sweden and Denmark.

stu t.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Just depends on the weather, what your comfort zone is, and the design/location of your hotel.
The one weekend I was in Stockholm in June a few years ago was a heat wave. I booked a hotel that advertised central a/c and it did have some cool air during the hottest part of the day, so it allowed me to come in and relax. At night it was cooler outside, so I opened my window to the interior courtyard and only minimal noise.

I have stayed in an apartment without a/c in Helsinki for weeks in June and didn't need it. But the offices I was working in were miseably hot each day--my colleagues worked with the lights off and the shades drawn as much as possible to try to stay cool. Another time it was downright cold in June.

I am a light sleeper and don't sleep well while sweating, so I am uncomfortable in a hotel room that isn't cool with windows over a noisy street. So even in Scandanavia I look for hotels that are off main streets that don't have noise complaints on tripadvisor or else I choose a hotel that advertises a/c and hope it is turned on in case I need to close the windows for noise.
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Have been in Scandinavia several times in the summer nd it was never more than about 75 degrees. It is possible to be warmer - several years ago europe had an incredibly hot summer - and it was warm even in Scandinavia - but I think that happens once every hundred years or so.

We needed light jackets at night - not AC.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:08 AM

You usually do not need AC but sometimes it gets kind of hot so you will not be needing a Webasto heating system
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM

Stockholm in July was wonderful without A/C, Copenhagen was unexpectedly hot during the day.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I tried to post yesterday, but it did not appear, so I apologize in advance if I end up with two responses.

We managed to find the heat again in Scandinavia. Stockholm was around 85F. We had a hotel room with a/c that cooled the room to around 78F keeping the heavy curtains closed. Early morning we could open the window to let in some fresh air. The T-bana and Vasa museum were great to cool off in the a/c. Some places had to walk in full sun and it was hot. Friends had a larger corner hotel room that I was envious of until I visited in afternoon to find it much hotter than ours--location.

We visited in a 4th floor apartment one evening that was sweltering despite windows open on both sides of the building. It was cooling down after the sun went down at 11pm.

Train Stockholm-Oslo was not air conditioned. Miserable in the afternoon sun with fussy children, people standing at windows, and lots of drinks being sold from kiosk. Return train not as bad because of some cloud cover and rain.

Train Oslo-Flam was air conditioned and comfortable, again probably about 78F inside. Hiking around Flam-Aurland was hot, but apartment room without a/c OK except when we had to close the door because of grill smoke from patio below, then stuffy.

First hotel room in Oslo was able to cool to almost 78F, but sun was intense through curtain and window only 1 foot square, so it warmed up in the afternoon. We complained and upon our return to Oslo given room on different floor with adjustable fan speed that seemed to cool better and maybe direction facing better so OK at 78F. Walking in Oslo was hot. Museums hot--fans set up to blow on guards and some portable a/c units in some rooms. Ferry ride was nice and folk park shady. Tram OK while moving, but hot when stopped at lights. Did not try the buses.

We enjoyed the trip, just took twice as many showers and changed clothes twice a day, leading to more laundry en route than expected. We had to cut back on planned walks and hikes so husband could cool down. His Norwegian blood makes him resilient in the cold, but he doesn't handle heat well.

I lugged around a fleece layer that I never wore in 2 weeks. Wore the rain jacket once. Wished I had more short sleeves and shorts (which I rarely wear visiting cities) to walk around the city and ride the hot train.

Since we left the temps dropped 10F, so timing is everything and nature unpredictable.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Generally not necessary. But there was that one awful summer several years ago when it was necesary everywhere. But - I would think a once in a century event.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Nytraveler,
I agree that it is uncommon for the heat to last more than a week or two.
But we have been in Scandinavia two years ago and again last week--both times temps in the high 80sF. So, more than once in this century so far.
It just is hit or miss from June to August and usually a week or two at a time.
Not a big deal for locals who usually welcome the sun and temporary heat, but uncomfortable for a tourist who is only visiting for that unfortunate week.

Still a wonderful place to visit; just bring your own fan