Is a Swiss Flexipass worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a month-long trip combining Switzerland & Northern Italy. The only areas in Switzerland we're visiting are the BO (for 4 full days)and Zurich + Luzern (for 4 days). While I don't know the exact price of point-to-point tickets for the long trips, I would guess they would not total the price of a 3-day flexipass (counting 3 days as: #1 landing in Zurich & getting to BO, #2 leaving BO & getting to Milan, #3 returning from Milan & getting to Zurich/Luzern). However, do you agree that the pass would still be worth it when you consider all the half-price rides on the other non-pass days, in addition to the reduction on all the mountain lifts and/or boat rides that we will undoubtedly want to experience? All those lifts & trains among the BO towns, up to Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, up to Mts. Pilatus, Rigi--seems like they will add up pretty fast! What would you do?
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM

logogm -

Don't have answers for you, but am interested in what people have to say. I'll be in the same position this spring.

I'd do some research, though, on the BO mountain trams... they are known to be quite expensive and I doubt they are covered by the Flexipass. If they are not, that might make the difference when you run the numbers.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:04 AM

You can get an idea of the cost and potential savings from www.railsaver.com, although I don't know how accurate the point-to-point prices are. But it's worth a look---put in your itinerary and choose "only if it saves me money".

I like the FlexPass for the convenience (actually, since there are 3 of us, it's a SaverPass which is 15% less, plus a family card so our daughter is free.

Most of our transfers cost the same as, or a bit more than, the cost of a day on the FlexPass. And, we can take side excursions on "travel" days---like a side trip to Gieebach by boat on the day we travel from Luzern to Grindelwald. And between Grindelwald and Mürren, we can go up over Kleine Scheidegg, stopping for a hike it it is nice, instead of the much less expensive way via Zweilutschenin (which Railsaver says is only 8 SF).

Many poeple here like the Hallf-Fare card instead, but then you still have to buy tickets.

Looking at your plans, logogm, it seems like you might do well with a Transfer Ticket (which would cover the legs BO to Milan, and Milan back to Luzern, but only the Swiss portions). But then you wouldn't get half off your excursions from Luzern. So if it were my trip, I'd get the 3-day FlexPass.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

The Flexipass provides a 50% discount on lifts, 50% discount on lift to Schilthorn, 50% discount on train trip up Jungfrau. So, as I understand it, I would use the pass for 3 days of the long legs, then get the discount on most of the rest of transport costs, which in the BO would be the lifts. Although there are a couple of "panorama" cog rides in BO that are designated as "private rail," & I can't seem to find out if they would also give discount. (Would have to be a discount to be worth it, since if they would use up a day of the Flexipass, would surely NOT be worth it)

The boats in Luzern are free with the pass, BUT you use up a day, so again, not worth it. However, 30% discount up Mt. Pilatus, 50% discount up Mt. Rigi.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

enzian: thanks for your suggestion to use the railsaver site...I just did it & was advised against a rail pass of any kind & to buy point-to-point tickets. However, it still doesn't consider all the discounts the Swiss pass would offer. How do I factor that in, when I don't know now & don't see how I would plan how many lifts, other short train rides that I might make when I get there.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM

That's odd---I put what I thought was your itinerary into Railsaver, chose "only if it saves me money", and it said to buy the 3-day FlexPass. I used, starting in Zurich, going to Lauterbrunnen (I just picked someplace in the BO); then to Milan; then to Luzern. So your spot in the BO may be the difference in the results you got. If you are staying in Interlaken (not lauterbrunnen as I put in), the transport cost is less; if you are staying in Wnggen or Mürren, it would be considerably more.

I'm pretty sure it would benefit you to get the pass; the discount ffeature is important of you are going up the Schilthorn and/or the Jungfrau. And you'd get 50% off the lake boats, even if it's not a travel day.

Sounds like a nice trip you have planned, by the way!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

enzian: when I put in the itinerary, I put the whole thing in! Zurich, Murren, Milano, Vernazza, Fierenze, Venice, Varenna, Luzern, Zurich. So Railsaver considered the entire trip? and also computed Murren vs. Lauterbrunnen? Anyway, thanks for your efforts in answering my post.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:02 AM
JN

The array of swiss passes is confusing to many of us. This is why I tend to purchase the Half-fare, one month card (for 99chf) which entitles you to half price tickets on most trains, busses, lifts etc, including those in the BO.