Reload this Page >

Berner Oberland Travel Bargains

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM
cod

We will be in Grindelwald for two weeks or so in August, and plan to go twice up the Jungfrau and twice up the Schilthorn as well as do plenty of hiking, making use of the local trains and particularly the cable cars. Can anyone tell me whether we should buy a Berner Oberland Regional Pass (free travel for 5 days, half fare travel for 10 days) or Jungfrau Passes each week - each pass gives free transport for six days. We are two adults, and five children - we can get Junior Cards for the children.Would welcome comments.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Jungfraubahnen Pass costs 190 chf for adults (94.60 if you hold the Swiss card). It is valid for 6 successive days. THE SCHILTHORN from Mürren to the top is NOT included.
The undiscounted cost of that ride is 63.80.
Unless you buy someother discount instrument the total cost for this itinerary would be:
190.00 for the pass
63.80 to the Schilthorn
45.00 half of cost Eigergletscher to
Jungfraujoch and return
298.80 TOTAL

The Regional Pass costs more but I cannot find the current cost of it.
I tried Google but the web site it turned up does not respond.

Last year the shorter version of the pass was 195 chf.
Using that price, the trips possible could cost you
45.00 (50% Eigergletscher - Jungfraujoch)
31.90 (50% Murren - Shilthorn )
271.90 TOTAL

That would throw these tenative costs estimates in favor of the Regional Pass.

But I can tweak it a little bit, and the Swiss Card becomes your best bet. That is usually what I get because i usually arrive by train from Munich and the whole trip Lauterbrunnen - St. Margarethen is free of charge with the Card. Otherwise, it costs a chunk.

I do know for a definite fact that with the Regional Pass in years past, an adult paid 50% of the cost from Mürren to the top of the Schilthorn and return ANd 50% of the cost of the trip from Eigergletscher to the Jungfraujoch and return.
That means regardless of "free days" the cost of a trip to the Jungfraujoch is never free.

Given that the Schilthorn trip is not included in the Jungfrau regional pass, figuring just how much the costs will be for the basis you describe is quite difficult.

But that is the best shot I can give it.
And it is free for the reading.
And, in signing off, if you don't like my figures -- get your own.
(I got adversely critisized last year, so that is why the like it or lump it petulancy. I am in a post surgical mood so that is why my ornery comment.)
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 03:10 AM

I have been to the B.O region several times and have traveled with a pass and without. I have found that the individual passes add up in a hurry and a region pass is the way to go. The tourist office in Interlaken has all the info and details on the exact cost. Nexr time I head to Switzerland, I will be purchasing a pass, for sure.

I recommend the Jungfraujoch over the Schilthorn, as the there is more to do, better restaurant, giftshop, and the sights going up is amazing.

Have you checked into staying in Murren? I have found it's the pefect hub for a trip to the B.O. It's traffic free and there are plenty of hiking trails ready for use.

Check out Hotel Alpenruth in Murren for a lodging option. It's next to the lift station, so very little walking, after a long day and the rooms with a balcony offer a splendid view.

Switzerland is dog-friendly and I have taken my pet everywhere I went. She traveled on all rails and lifts without a problem. Something to consider, if you own an obedient dog.

Have a great Trip, David

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM

The web site I had last night for the Berner Oberland Regional Pass is valid. The price of the Regional Pass has gone up a little. The site evidently was not responding last night.

Here are the new prices: The 7 day, 2nd class version, (3 free days + 4 days at discount fares) is 220 chf ; the 15 day version (5 + 10) is 265 chf. All prices are for adults and allow for no other discount card. Cards for children are 110 for the 7 day (2nd class) and 133 for the 15 day. Dogs travel for the same price as children.
The detail is formidable but it is available at this location:
http://www.regiopass-berneroberland....sch/preis.html

The valid area for the pass is huge. You need a map to check out all of the detail, but the area stretches from Bern to Zermatt. I was surprised to learn that my BOBRP was good for 25% off of the Gornergrat train.

I have often wondered if I could amortize the cost of the 15 day version. I know the year we bought the 7 day version, we ran all over the place for the 3 free days.

The imponderable is of course the weather.
None of passes strikes me as a very good bargain if the mountain tops are socked in. The Jungfraujoch might be beautiful on a clear day, but for some reason the cost of getting there is less appealing if I can see nothing.

Even Kleine Scheidegg is not much of a bargain.

Well. You have the information you need for a detailed cost analysis.
I will let someone else post the details this year.

A list of point to point prices is available here:http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/pages/SE/SE_KrTe.htm

I presume this is current information.
The pfd version says it is of December 2003. That sounds current to me.

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 11:25 AM
cod

Thank you both for all your help. It looks like the Regional Pass is the best bet - I hadn't realised it covered such a wide network. We don't need Swiss Card as we are flying into Geneva and renting a car, then driving on to stay in Grindelwald, where we have already booked accommodation.