Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is a Eurail pass accepted on the metro in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris for 5 nights/6 days and will be using a 5 day Paris visite card. On day 6 we will be travelling by train from Montparnasse to Nantes, using the Eurail pass. Will we be able to use the pass to get from our hotel at Place de Republique to Montparnasse by metro?
Thank you.
Lonhro
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:16 PM

I don't think so. The eurrail pass is good on some RER (Regional Railroad Lines) i.e. to Versaille and CDG Airport. You can purchase a single metro pass fairly cheaply or a Cartrette (I'm not sure of spelling)which is 11 passes at a better rate.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:33 PM

Nope. You'll have to buy a metro ticket.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:34 PM

That's like asking if you can use an Amtrak ticket for NYC or DC subway. Eurail passes are no good for the Paris metro.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:18 PM

No offense, xxx16, but it is not the same question at all. While you are correct that the pass won't cover the Paris Metro, it will cover the busses and subways in dozens of European cities, so it is not such a silly question at all.
Old May 24th, 2003, 01:56 AM

If you haven't already bought your Paris Visite card, suggest you don't. It is not a particularly good value, particularly if you purchase over the internet. Use carnets (packs of 10 Metro tickets sold at a discount over purchasing tickets individually) for your transportation and buy a museum pass--at larger Metro stations--for your museum visits.
Old May 24th, 2003, 08:54 AM

If your five days in Paris fall *mostly* on the right days of the week, a Carte Orange metro & bus pass for each person in your family will be the cheapest way to have unlimited rides. A pass for zones 1-2 costs 13.75 euros and is good Monday-Sunday. (If you will arrive and leave in the middle of the week, it won't be your best choice.) But if you take 15 rides the pass will pay for itself, so you don't have to use it for all seven days for it to be a bargain. Bring extra passport-sized photos of each person. Or cut the heads out of any existing "ordinary" photos you have. A carnet of 10 tickets for zones 1-2 costs 9.60. Your family can share the tickets and you can keep buying more carnets as needed. (This may be your best choice if you're only going to take a couple of rides a day.) Note: Information on the Carte Orange is only available on the French language version of the RATP Web site.
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Patrick, you are correct about being able to use Eurail passes on buses and subways in dozens of European cities. We have done it in Germany and Switzerland, and that is why I asked the question.