Is $528USD a good fare?

Dec 30th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Is $528USD a good fare?

My husband and I are spending 3 weeks in Europe; we hope to fly into Shannon (Ireland) from Boston, and then travel (via train) down to Barcelona a few weeks later, at which point we will fly back to Boston. We found a price of $528 per person for an open jaw ticket from Boston to Shannon and Barcelona to Boston. Is 528 per person considered a good price (on US AIR)?? Thank you for your feedback!

Best, Angela
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

I should note, we'd be flying into Shannon, Ireland in mid May and leaving Barcelona on June 11th.
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:59 PM

If your flights are actually USAir flights, I would not book them. USAir is in very real danger of going out of business and this may happen in the near future.
If your flights are on their partners, you'll be better off. Better to find flights with more stable airlines even if it means paying a bit more.
Dec 30th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Chatters

What month? If is after April is a super-amazing fare; if it is for before or on April, is an excellent fare. Have a great time!!

Dec 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I agree with other posters about USAIR especially when it comes to LUGGAGE. BTW, how are you going from Shannon to Barcelona via TRAIN? Have a Great Trip!!! Mike
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM

It's a great fare for May/June. Only you can decide whether you're comfortable with the risks involved in buying from a financially troubled airline, so far in advance.

Because the USD528 itineraries involve connections at US Airways' hub in Philadelphia, and because US Airways is the only US flag carrier (and the only carrier period) to fly the required international routes, the recently extended consumer protection law won't help you.

Your best bet is to try booking the same itinerary through United -- also bankrupt but in better shape than US Airways. You'll be better off if you can snag codeshare seats on all of the flights in your itinerary, because then you'll be United's responsibility. You want United Airlines flight numbers, with the notation that the flights are operated by US Airways. Be absolutely certain that the ticket will be issued by United.

I tried to price one of the USD528 itineraries through United, but the return flight from Barcelona on June 11th is giving problems. Perhaps a qualified travel agent can help you.

For information about the risks involved in buying tickets from US Airways, United, and other financially troubled carriers, go to:

http://www.hasbrouck.org/articles/bankruptcy.html

It's a great article, and one of the few I've seen that explores the specifics.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Dec 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM

BTW, does the $528 fare include all taxes and applicable fees? Regardless, I'd avoid USAIR like the PLAGUE. Mike
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Did you HEAR about the luggage problems at USAIR over the Christmas holiday weekend? A real nightmare. That seems like a very good airfare for open jaw, with or without taxes etc. I would be very suspicious. I agree with posters, find something else, I wouldn't buy USAIR for a future trip.
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM

Why not check out Aer Lingus? Their website says they fly to all of your desitions, although for some reason I couldn't get a Barcelona - Boston fare to come up when I searched even though they do fly to both of those cities. Perhaps if you call them they could help you. Roundtrip from Boston to Shannon on your dates is $474.

Another option (if Aer Lingus can't make arrangements for the Barcelona leg) would be to buy the roudtrip Aer Lingus tickets to Shannon and then take a low cost european carrier (EasyJet or Ryan Air) between Shannon and Barcelona. It seems like you would need to do that with the $528 ticket anyways since you clearly can't take the train from Shannon to Barcelona. Good luck!
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:10 AM

US Air is well-known for having good airfare sales -I've used them a number of times. There is nothing "suspicious" about their periodic offers.
The Christmas luggage fiasco can be blamed on unethical workforce calling in "sick" as well as uncontrollable weather dynamics.
The only risk in booking with them is their unstable financial situation. I flew them in October after this board assured me it would be highly unlikely that they would stop flying in less than 6 mos. from declaring bankruptcy. I do not know where they are in this process at this time to have any feel for a May-June flight.
Dec 31st, 2004, 05:37 AM

A good source for USAir info is www.flyertalk.com

I don't think I would book them right now. They have a major court hearing in mid January and that could be a make/break point. (Of course the fact that after last weekend passengers are jumping ship is not a good sign.)
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:51 AM

You have a few days left to book business class on British Airways for $1000 & up; about a 70% savings if you act quickly. We booked Tucson/London in April. JP
Dec 31st, 2004, 08:59 AM

oakglen,

That's $1000 ONE WAY as per BA e-mail:

Don't miss this unique opportunity. For a very limited time, you can fly to London in our renowned Club WorldSM cabin with prices starting at $1,000.*

*Fares shown are one-way based on round-trip purchase for outbound travel beginning January 13, 2005, from select gateways to London. Fares may be higher from other gateways and to select European cities. 14-day advance purchase required. Fares are subject to government approval and do not include government fees and taxes of approximately $138 plus the $2.50 September 11th Security Fee. Minimum stay Saturday night. Maximum stay 12 months. Flat bed is available on most North American flights to London. Valid for new bookings only made December 30, 2004-January 2, 2005. Offer can be booked online at ba.com or through travel agent. Subject to availability. Other significant restrictions apply.

Dec 31st, 2004, 09:23 AM

My son flew US Airways yesterday - after the sickness... after the weather. On a simple Raleigh, NC to Binghamton, NY flight - they loaded no ones luggage. Not one piece. Unbelieveable.
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:36 AM

Travelnut, I guess "cautious" was the word I was looking for. I wouldn't choose a great fare for a date several months in the future from an airline that I know is having financial trouble.
Dec 31st, 2004, 12:20 PM

One of the interesting things about this thread is that GoJumbos has never replied to any of the comments. She must be waiting for next year !!! Mike
Dec 31st, 2004, 08:37 PM

i live in boston too and that is a great fare....i would stay away from us air for now....air lingus has good fares ....how about using them round trip and then using ryan air to and from spain...they are very cheap and super to fly with...ryan air....look at their web site...i just used them and was very pleased...
aer lingus is reasonable from boston as well...but may/june is approaching the most expensive time of the year
Jan 1st, 2005, 04:02 AM
Chatters

barbmike-- you are right!! somehow the date May/June has been established as the travel date, even though the original poster has never follow-up on this thread!! I actually think is hilarious!!

Jan 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
Chatters

By the way, one of my pet peeves on this forum are the posters who "sucked" information plenty, but never care to provide any response/feedback. Sorry for picking on you GoJumbos, but couldn't help to notice that you have posted several questions on this forum, received tremendous feedback, and NEVER once have you acknowledged nor posted any response/feedback/thanks.

BTW, one of my New Year's resolutions is to call it as I see it; couldn't help it.

Jan 1st, 2005, 06:11 AM

Ninasdream, I agree... our tickets in Oct were miles/awards and I had a concern...Just read a comment in the newspaper that USAir might have to move to liquidation 'soon'. It does sound risky. I don't know what a passenger can expect if they have a paid ticket and the airline actually stops flying - wouldn't another airline have to pick up those passengers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO