Is 4 nights in Granada, Spain enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going in late April, 2024. The Alhambra, of course, but do we need more time to soak up the atmosphere (we hate short stays)? From there, Mallorca for perhaps 8 days, staying in Palma and probably one more town. Then the rest of our 3 weeks in Barcelona. Would you change this itinerary?
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 09:59 AM

I won't comment on your overall itinerary since I don't know the particulars, but 4 nights in Granada is more than enough.
Some visitors, most visitors actually have just 2 (which I feel really are needed, one day for the Alhambra and getting to know the city and another day for the downtown monuments and an Albaicín exploration.
When we visit we usually have 3 nights, but we do enjoy tapas hopping at night and just exploring what's new in the city.
4 nights for me would be one night too many, unless I were spending a full day on a trip to the Alpujarras, as I´d prefer to put that 4th night elsewhere.

Last summer, in early June we spent 2 weeks on Mallorca, a week in Palma, which for me was too much because it was heaving with visitors, and a week on the western and northern sides in the gorgeous Sierra de Tramuntana, which I loved---the picture postcard villages of Deiá, Valdemossa, Fornalutx, Sóller, Puerto de Sóller, Pollensa, Puerto de Pollensa
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We visited for three nights and two full days, which seemed perfect We loved Granada. Check out Chapters Six through Eight of our 2015 trip report with lots of photos (picking up your Alhambra tickets have changed since then, so disregard that part).

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/spain-2015/

Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the gorgeous visual, maitai!

Yes, I would do what maitaitom did, spend 3 nights, 2 full days. But of course it depends on your preferred pace.

Last edited by Maribel; Sep 2nd, 2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:41 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We spent three nights, which was just about perfect.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:43 AM

We did 3 nights in Granada and 4 (or maybe 5) in Sevilla which seemed the perfect amount.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:51 AM

Seems like the Fodorite consensus is 3 nights in Granada, 5 nights in Sevilla for me at least....
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 10:56 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Five nights in Seville for me too, although I wouldn't have minded a sixth.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 11:01 AM

I need at least 5 but I would gladly, happily, take a week when I have it , but I'm a slow traveler and Sevilla is my favorite Andalusian city.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel. I had originally had reckoned 6 or 7 nights in Granada but the hotel I wanted, Casa de Morisca, but it’s already booked .(!). Researching further, it seemed shorter is better but 2 or 3 days anywhere is usually too short for us. Maybe I should add another night or two in Mallorca. A friend who ran a hotel in Mallorca for years highly recommends Pollenca, but Deia sounds good too. Hopefully the weather will be perfect in early May, fingers crossed. I’Ve been to Barcelona several times but not my husband.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 11:41 AM

The Casa Morisca is very, very popular. Matt Damon and his family stayed there, btw. If you want 4 days (and I assume you're a very slow traveler like me), there are other nice options besides the Casa Morisca. If you need them, just let me know.

I loved Pollensa. I found it absolutely charming.
We avoided staying in Deiá because of the climbing, limited parking, limited dining options, and it's really small although extraordinarily picturesque. Instead we stayed in Sóller and day tripped. In Sóller we found more shopping and dining options and from there we made some interesting day trips. It's also on the antique train line from Palma.
The drive from Sóller to Deiá, although very short, I found a bit hair-raising with all the cyclists passing us and the non stop curves.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 11:42 AM

My post is in automatic limbo, just give it time and it will eventually appear.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 12:36 PM

Hi,

To be honest, I think 5 nights are plenty for Granada. on our trip we stayed there for 3 nights and we were almost able to cover most of the main attractions. I might suggest you try to visit Cordoba or Sevilla from there. They are both very close and short trip from Granada. You can do it even by a quick train ride. Don't forget to try a Roman Bath or Hamam while in that area. It is a must for an amazing experience. I wonder what hotel did you book in Granada. If you have the budget I would suggest Hospes Palaciode Los Patos. Make sure to book in the main building otherwise it is not worth it. You want to stay in the palace itself for the full experience. We have reviewed it after out trip at: exoticornot.com/granada-luxury-resort-spa-hospes-palaciode-los-patos-granada-review/

Try to book hotels with Roman Baths during your stays in that region or visit those as an external guests. Some will amaze you
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM

I personally don´t recommend a day trip from Granada to Córdoba or Sevilla due to the distance, even on the high speed train. Although the train ride from Granada to Córdoba takes one hour 32 to 38 minutes, there is much to see besides the Mosque-Cathedral. Many Fodorites choose to spend the night or even two in Córdoba. I recently spent 3.

I've seen the Hospes Palacio de los Patios in Granada, although boutique, it doesn't have as central a location, although I agree that the rooms in the main building are palatial but the annex rooms give a great deal to be desired. It´s not quite in the very central zone. Beautiful hotel for sure, but for me, not a great location. YMMV.

The very shortest ride to Sevilla on the fast train takes 2 hours, 30 minutes. Sevilla would never be a city I would personally visit on a day trip, because there is simply far too much to see in a day. It is extremely rich in museums and monuments and a true delight. You would barely be able to scratch a small surface of this marvelous city on a day trip. If you read other trip reports, many Fodorites enjoy 4 or even 5 nights or more in Sevilla.

As to Arab baths, not Roman, there is a group of current day hammams in Andalucía, in Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba and other Spain cities, not attached to hotels but instead free standing hammams with spa like options, open to any guest of the city.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 01:09 PM

The way we have done it was to stay for a night in Cordoba, then to go to Sevilla from there as the distance from Sevilla to Cordoba is less than an hour by the train. The trains were very pleasant trip. Definitely I agree though in Sevilla you can spend much more time as there is just too much to see and it is a big city, though a day teaser won't hurt. We actually stayed only one night in Cordoba and were super happy we at least visited it, but then stayed for two nights in Sevilla. We could have definitely spend 3 nights easily in each.

On the Arab baths/Hammams vs Roman baths Andalucía seemed to be rich with both options. We tried both. We enjoyed both, and everyone will have his favorite I guess. Having one at the hotel was very convenient, but the public ones such as the AIRE one was nice too. Not sure what was your favorite. Feel free to share as we will be back to Spain in November (Not sure which cities this time though). We can never get enough of Spain, it is always fun.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 01:40 PM

I know that the train ride from Còrdoba to Sevilla takes under an hour and makes for a feasible day trip.
In my post above I was referring to the train rides from Granada to Córdoba and from Granada to Sevilla, which for me would not be conducive to a day trip, even a teaser, but YMMV.

Out of curiosity, which were the Roman baths in your hotel that you enjoyed?

I've used the modern day Arab hammam baths, Aire in Sevilla
https://beaire.com/en/aire-ancient-baths-sevilla

These are the ones in Córdoba
https://cordoba.hammamalandalus.com/en/

and in Granada
https://granada.hammamalandalus.com/en/

Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions but I’ve traveled extensively Andalusia so have seen Sevilla several times (though not Cordoba). I missed Granada, which is why this trip (we are staying at the smallish Casa 1800). The idea was to see the Alhambra and the town, then go to Mallorca , on my list for ages, but hopefully avoid the sun-seeking hordes.Then to see the Sagrada Familia, which hadn’t opened on my last visit, and explore the glories of Barcelona before the heat sets in.
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, thanks a bunch. Yes, we are slow travelers and eating well is important. As I said above, we are trying out Casa 1800 for now unless Casa deMorisca opens up later. We prefer full service places but small characterful ones, and Granada seems lacking in those (as well as walk-in showers!).
I really appreciate the tip about Deia. We hate marriage-challenging drives these days, ( LOL!)so a day trip on a train sounds great. I was under the impression that Soller was full of huge resorts, no? Maybe we’ll just do Palma first and then Pollenca. (Town or port, do you think?)
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Maitaitom,
Thank you for pointing me to your highly entertaining journey!
I’m a fellow gets-no-respect punster.
It was helpful to read about the Alhambra experience and on your advice (and some from my experienced feet), I think we’ll ditch the night tour and maybe go for the Generalife garden tour the next day. Better look into tickets pretty soon!
And I always appreciate tips on no-go restaurants.
SLOLeslie (an LA escapee)
Old Sep 2nd, 2023, 04:49 PM

We did 3 nights Granada, 3 nights Cordoba. I would have happily taken a night away from Granada to have more time in Cordoba.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -