Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is 2 hrs. enough time to connect at JFK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
After waiting for months for fares to come down for flights TPA-LGW-VCE-TPA (I didn't want to book too early) I am about to purchase AA tickets. I'm counting on getting a voucher from AA if fare comes down. Is 2 hrs. enough time to connect from VCE flight to TPA flight in the late afternoon? We have always connected through Philadelphia without a problem, although close. Thank you for your responses. Gladys
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I guess I'm not as savvy a traveler as I thought........What does TPA-LGW-VCE-TPA mean?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Gladfon, LGW is LaGuardia airport, not JFK.

You should make sure that your flight from TPE (Tampa?) is going into JFK. If it is going into LaGuardia (possible as it is a domestic US flight), you may not have time to get your bags, get over the JFK and checkinto the VCE (Venice?) portion of your flight.

For the return, if your TPE flight goes out of LGA, 2 hours will not be enough time, IMO, to get through immigration, collect your baggage, get through customs, get over to LGA, check-in to you flight and get through security.

If your entire flight is to and from JFK, 2 hours should be enough.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:52 AM

LGW is London Gatwick. LGA is LaGuardia.
Do you fly into LaGuardia and then make an overland connection to Kennedy? If so, 2 hours is pushing it!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Sorry, LGA is LaGuardia, LGW is Gatwick airport in London. I guess I don't understand your question, because AA's flights to Venice do not appear to connec through Gatwick, in the UK they go through Heathrow (LHR).

Also TPE is Taipei, so I am really confused as to why you would go through JFK on any flight between Venice and Taipei....
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Aha!
My confusion now is that you seem to be leaving out your connecting flight stateside in your TPA-LGW-VCE-TPA listing.
Where is your first stop from Tampa? JFK? And, then do you take a flight from JFK to Gatwick? Similarly, on your return, do you fly from Venice to JFK and JFK to Tampa?
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Well, gladfon said TPA, not TPE. I assumed TPA was Tampa, but it would certainly be easier if people didn't assume everyone knows every airport code! Spell out the cities!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:08 AM
sandi

LGW is Gatwick, London
LGA is LaGuardia, NYC
TPA is Tampa, Florida.
TPE is Taipai, Rep. of China

gladfon wrote the airport codes - leaving from Tampa to Gatwick (then apparently by rail or other means to Venice) then from Venice to Tampa;
unless
flying Tampa to Gatwick to Venice, then return flight non-stop?? Venice to Tampa! No, Venice to JFK, where the transfer to flight to Tampa.

It should read:
TPA/(LGW)/VCE/(JFK)/TPA
- those in () are the connecting points

But the codes listed are correct for the itinerary.

AA has a terminal at JFK for both their International and Domestic flights. Two hours should be enough time to clear customs and get to the gate for the Tampa flight. While your bags will be thru-checked, you will still have to collect them after clearing Customs, where you will (at area right next to the baggage claim) turn in your bags that will then be placed on your Tampa flight.

Do be aware that many flights from Europe arrive at JFK mid-/late-afternoon, but AA has their own Customs/Immigration.

If you feel uncomfortable with the amount of time for connecting or should your flight be running late, mention to the attendent that you have a connecting flight. Often the crew will ask that those with connecting flight be able to deplane first to get thru Customs quickly.

And finally, if for some reason your bags don't arrive with you in Tampa, the airline is responsible to get them to your house/apartment. Usually, coming on on the next flight on next day.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:16 AM
sandi

My error in the previous message.

The departing flight from Tampa does connect thru JFK before heading out to Gatwick, London. And since gladfon doesn't indicate it, believe the connection is thru Gatwick on the return as well.

One does have to be careful in writing codes or write out the complete city and state/country (many places have similar names - eg. Paris Texas, Paris France - and connection point should be included.

TPA/(JFK)/(LGW)/VCE/(LGW)/(JFK)/TPA

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello again,
Sorry for the confusion. My flights are: Tampa-Dallas/Dallas to London Gatwick; Venice to NY JFK/JFK to Tampa.
I was concerned about 2 hrs. being enough time for the connection at JFK. Sandy gets the prize for deciphering my hieroglyphics (not intended). Since you say that JFK has one terminal for both national/international, I feel more comfortable with that connection. Thank you all for responding. By the way, the fare quoted me is $861 flying out the Thursday after Easter. I'm counting on getting the credit voucher if prices go down. The reason I want to nail it down now is because the connections, times, aircraft, etc. are excellent. Regards, Gladys
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM

It's a shame you'd have to backtrack through Dallas...make sure you allow plenty of time there as well.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I was just thinking that same thing Jocelyn. Doesn't the Dallas connection add about five hours to the trip? Wicked.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Ah, the joys of living in New York and being able to get direct flights to Europe!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Howard, not only direct, but CHEAP flights to Europe. Just paid over $1000/pp to fly out of Lubbock. It was cheaper when we left from the west coast!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
sandi

Gladys - thanks for the compliment, but I would never have thought DFW on the outbound trip. I too hate going back to go forward, but sometimes there are no other options. So if it's DFW, then it is.

As mentioned, DFW can take longer for a connection than JFK, unless you have a long connecting time. Though not really, as they do have the rail service, but the walk from one gate to another till you find the stop to get on the rail, is often a hoof - and I still can't believe there are no moving walkways at DFW.

That said, your return JFK connection should be fine. Have fun!

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM

This post is so funny...it would have been a lot simpler for "gladfon" to just write out the names of the airports.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM

i_am_kane, you said it all!