Salzburg to Prague options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending a few days in Salzburg we be travelling to Prague.
I have looked at train options and there seems two main routes.

Salzburg via change in Linz then a regional train to Prague. Two concerns with this option:
- 8 min change over in Linz, enough time?
- Regional train to prague has about 30 stops!

Or a train to Munich and then bus to Prague.
- It says it is a 15 walk from the train station to Bus station, we will have luggage
- Bus trip has no stops

Both options take about 6 1/2 hours.
Does anyone have any experience with this route or other suggestions.
Thank you
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Eight minutes is plenty to change platform. Know your arrival time, keep an eye on the watch, get ready with your stuff and move towards the doors as the train pulls in and comes to a halt, get off and walk across, that's how the locals do it, that's why it is scheduled for 8 minutes so even old and slow folks can do it.

Train to Vienna and train to Prague would be best in my opinion. Not a slam dunk either, but check the timetables at www.oebb.at

Take one of the several morning trains from Salzburg, early enough to give yourself enough time to make the switch from Wien West station to the Wien Simmering station. It's about 6 miles, so a taxi would be best.

Then catch the 12:53 departure from Simmering that goes all the way and arrives in Prague at the Praha hl.n station at 17:21
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 04:37 PM

That 15 minute walk is fictitious. When I took the train/bus from Frankfurt to Prague the bus was right outside the train station in Nuremburg. I think they count getting off the train and walking through the station. bahn.de showed a 10 minute walk in Nuremburg but it was about 2 minutes from the train to the bus.

I would take the bus from Munich rather than a regional train. That opinion is from someone who loves trains and hates buses. You may get a Czech regional train rather than a German or Austrian one and you will wish you had taken the bus.

It's hard to believe that with all those stops the through train takes the same time as the bus.

Grab some lunch in the station before boarding the bus. Since there are 2 of you, one person takes the luggage to the bus and the other buys some lunch.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM

Some people - like me - hate buses for long trips. So I'd take the train myself. If you can check the train schedule and see when the next train from Linz to Prague would be if you happen to miss yours, then you'll know what happens if you miss the connection. If there's another train an hour later, I wouldn't sweat it at all.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.
I have been doing some more reading and have seen a company called Westbus.
You can catch a Westbahn train to Linz and then walk to the Bus terminal and catch a Westbus bus to Prague.
This trip seems to take an hour less (from Salzburg to Prague).
Does anyone know of this company? It seems to be privately owned but prices are good.

I am not a great fan of long bus trips but an hour shorter journey and a trip to Prague without the constant stopping is tempting.

I did try and research the train from Linz, it is a Regional F.A. Gerstner train. I think it may be Czech.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 03:27 AM

May be you are interested in Kromlow too.
http://www.shuttlebus.cz/timetable.html
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks neckervd, great link and definitely an option to look at.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Neckervd, Have you ever used shuttlebus.cz? We're trying to reserve with them and I'd love to know that they were OK.