Search

Irish Itineray

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Michelle

Irish Itineray

Does anyone have any suggestions for an self-drive 8 day, six night trip to Ireland? We will be landing in Shannon, will have a rental car and vouchers for country B&B's? <BR>Neither of us have ever been to Ireland.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Debbie

Michelle - <BR> When are you planning on going? It makes a big difference in what you can fit in a given day. Right now - it gets dark by 4:30 or 5pm but in summer it can stay light until after 10pm. <BR> <BR>Also - do you have any ideas on things you really want to see? <BR> I leave next week for 9 days/8 nights in Ireland, and I planned my trip by getting the EYEWITNESS Travel Guide to Ireland and reading through it all - marking the items that sparked my eyes. <BR>I also got the Frommers -Irelands best loved driving tours - gives great ideas and mileage comments. I am not using any one tour , but combining a number of the tours in the book to create my own. <BR> <BR>also - take a peek at the following web site - Pat has a forum where she gives lots of advice on itineraries - you may get some good ideas from her. She has been very helpful in my planning. <BR> <BR>www.irelandexpert.com <BR> <BR>Good luck - post with more info. <BR>Debbie

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 10:03 AM
joanne

Just returned from a 3 week holiday in Ireland…you're going to love it! <BR> <BR>Definitely try to visit the North. Derry & Belfast are terrific cities. <BR> <BR>The west coast is so beautiful…make sure you see the Burren. <BR> <BR>Cork has the best food in Ireland. <BR> <BR>If you get to Dublin, Glasnevin Cemetary is worth a look…lots of historical people are buried there. Kilmainheim Jail is also very interesting, but you can only see it by tour and the tours only happen when there are enough people, so if you're on a tight schedule, avoid it. <BR> <BR>Best to think of what interests you the most and research on the net. It really worked for us. We drove around Donegal for about a week and there are many beautiful and hidden places. Talk to the locals…they're extremely helpful and love to share information about their country.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Bob

I also recommend irelandexpert.com. Pat was very helpful with my 9 day itinerary. She also has a book that seems very popular. Good luck.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 05:26 AM

this appears to have 2 diff. threads with diff. replies on each