Reload this Page >

Help me pick one of these London restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Mary

I will be in London in January and only have 1 night to myself because of business. Which of the following restaurants is my best bet for dinner and why? Or maybe there are others I should consider. I will be staying In Kensington. <BR> <BR>192 <BR>The Ivy <BR>Kensinton Place <BR>Assaggi <BR>Langan's Brasserie

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 04:12 PM
guy

don't know any of those restaurants but i just want to remind you that Great Britian is not known for it's food.

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Mary: I've not been to any of the restaurants you listed (though I have heard good things about Langan's). Let me say, though, that the above poster is WAY behind the times. Ever since the big Italian immigration of the 1970's the food in Britain has been getting better and better. Unfortunately the prices have gone up with the quality, but be assured that if you spend the money on a well-recommended restaurant you will enjoy your meal. Joan

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 04:42 PM
michele

Mary. <BR>I loved The Ivy and its partner, J. Sharkey ( same owner). Excellent fish, very refined cuisine and great atmosphere. ( We ate at the bar(good place for a single) at J. Sharkey--lots of fun and a great menu. I had an asparagus salad to start and the sole sauteed with tiny shrimp. My husband had a Cornish fish soup. BOth were great). <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 09:58 AM
topper

up message

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 11:04 AM
lydia

Guy is obviously relying on very outdated information and prejudices. <BR>Of the restaurants you mention, 192, The Ivy and Kensington Place are all extremely well-established and popular restaurants which showcase 'modern British food'. Eating at any of these will give you a pretty good impression of the London food scene. Kensington Place, of which I am most familiar, is a very crowded, noisy restaurant which may or may not be a good choice for a lone diner, depending on how much you like to be an observer of social behavior. Assagi is a small Italian restaurant serving tapas-style food, located above a pub. Depending on where in Kensington you're staying, 192, Kensington Place and Assagi may be within walking distance for you. Advanced reservations are always advisable in the crazy London restaurant scene. I would personally not recommend Langans, as my one experience there confirmed it to be a popular restaurant which serves extremely outdated food, where most dishes are overcooked and swimming in a pool of butter - in fact, food that confirms Guy's very prejudices. If you'd like more info, do e-mail me directly as I've lived in London 16 years and do love food!

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 01:02 PM
andrew

Hi, <BR> <BR>I love The Ivy, but if you want to go in January, you had better reserve it TODAY. <BR> <BR>I, however, recommend The Sugar Club.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 06:32 AM
topper

up message

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 12:52 PM
topper

up message <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Kavey

There are many top restaurants in London, and having travelled round the world, and classing myself as a true foody, I can confidently say that you can enjoy a top meal in London. <BR> <BR>I can recommend, to name a few off the top of my head, <BR> <BR>L'Escargot (Small, intimate, classy) <BR>Criterion Brasserie (STUNNING room and food) <BR>Quaglinos (large, modern, buzzy) <BR>Circus (medium size, friendly, classy but simple decor) <BR> <BR>Have a fabulous meal... <BR> <BR>Mary, where are you staying? <BR> <BR>Email me directly and perhaps I can think of better suggestions depending on your tastes, budget and location? <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:04 PM
dib

Criterion or Mirabelle?192 or Sugar Club?Assaggi or Isola?Mash or Zander?

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Joanne

Hi Mary - <BR>Check the web site foodtv.com - the Food Network is airing a show called "Taste England" that will highlight restaurants and their menus. My cable provider is airing it on Wednesday 11/1 at 10:00 p.m. The web site can let you know when it will be shown in your area. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:01 PM
fred

suggest that you find an indian place. food is usually good to excellent at a reasonable price. it does not have to be spicy ask for assistance from the waiter as to selection. you will not be sorry. also stay out of soho and the chiniese places-overpriced and mediocre food

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 05:55 AM
Rena

We've just returned from a 2-week vacation in Europe w/London as our last stop. The one restaurant that I would highly recommend is "The Capital". It's located within the Capital Hotel in Knightsbridge, across the street from Harrods. The chef, Eric Chavot, used to have his own restaurant in Chelsea. We literally stumbled into it in 1998. Ever since that extraordinary experience, we've compared all restaurants to his. In 1999, he closed his own restaurant and earlier this year, headed up the Capital's kitchen. It took me months to track him down and am so glad I did. The dress code is "smart", however, I did see a good number of patrons in jeans and khaki's. The atmosphere is quiet, food is (modern) french. I counted 11 (small) tables while we were there. It may be a short cab ride from Kensington but it'll be worth it. (The restaurant was more than happy to call us a cab when we were ready to leave.) I would feel comfortable dining alone in this restaurant due to its size and intimacy.