Reload this Page >

Irish Country House or Manor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 12:41 PM
Chris

I am looking for a wonderful Irish Country House or Manor to stay in, within 1-2 hours of Dublin airport. We'll be driving in from the west for a flight the next day, and would rather stay somewhere wonderful than an airport hotel. Flight's at noon.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Susan

Hi Chris. Although I have never been to Ireland I am in the process of planning a trip for this fall. I have heard wonderful things about Ballycormac House in Borrisokane, co. Tipperary which I believe would be about 2 1/2 hours from Dublin. It is a 300yr old country house in a peaceful rural setting. The owners are well known for their superb meals. Their establishment was written about in the Washington Post a couple of years ago. They can be reached at 353 67 21129. I believe B&B is about 35pounds each. Another highly recommended place just 35minutes to Dublin airport is Tinakilly House which is a luxury hotel and restaurant featured in Ireland's Blue Book (Irish Country Houses) which you can get from the Irish Tourist Board. Another one is Rathsallagh House - 1 hour from Dublin - has its own 18hole championship golf course, indoor swimming pool etc. Highly recommended in the Blue Book. <BR>Good luck on these. <BR>Susan <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Cathy

Hi Chris, <BR>While I agree with the previous poster on her recommendations I would strongly advise aiming for a place either north of Dublin or on the Navan/Mullingar routes into Dublin. Both Tipperary and Wicklow (Tinakilly) are too far out for a quick drive into the airport. Traffic in Ireland and especially around the airport (and parking too) takes a lot of time. Ok so I knock those ideas well where to stay then ? Give some additional details and I will try and help - When are you going ? Will you be returning a rental car and where exactly in the west are you coming from ? Like Susan recommended try and get a copy of the Blue Book from Board Failte (Irish Tourist Board) It has some wonderful gems. One thing to bear in mind when driving and planning journeys in Ireland is that the distance may not be too far but the roads are another thing and Dublin is just pure murder when it comes to traffic jams and road works. Hope you enjoy your visit. Post if you need help, <BR>Cathy

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 03:46 PM
Chris

Cathy, <BR>Thanks for the advice. We pick up a rental car at the airport on Sunday, March 5 - having been in Dublin several days already. Drive to visit friends in Doolin for a few days, and drive back towards the airport on Wednesday. I'd like to stay in a great place where we could have a good dinner, lovely room, and nice breakfast the next day before returning car to rental place and checking in for a 1:15 flight to Paris - which I guess means checking in by 11:15 for international. I've seen a Moyglare Manor website that looks nice (Maynooth) and the Kildare Country Club - though maybe a bit too clubby looking. I am willing to spluge. Thanks for any more ideas.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Cathy

Chris, <BR>Both Moyglare and the K Club are excellent - for the more quiet romantic relaxing person I would advise Moyglare. Moyglare is in fact just outside Maynooth (come off the Dual Carriage way/Motorway and go down to the village/town of Maynooth and turn left at the traffic lights follow the road around a corner to your right (St Patrick's College is straight ahead and is worth a visit they also do accommodation which is quite good too - it is over 200 years old and you could dine in Moyglare and stay in the college suites) Pass the church on your right and go straight ahead (the road curves around to the left and passes more of the college) anyway pass the church on your right and keep going straight and you are on the Moyglare road - the Manor is about 1 miles or so out that road). Tinakilly is a favourite of mine but on the other side of the city. To get to the airport the next morning from Maynooth go back onto the main motorway and follow the signs - allow yourself some time as traffic is generally very heavy around Dublin and the airport. It would take about 1 hour or so to get to the airport and check in desk. If you are not that anxious to get as far as Maynooth there is always Crokerwood House just outside Mullingar (wonderful food) but you would need to leave at about 9.30 or 10.00 at the latest. <BR> <BR>What airline are you flying with to Paris. If it is Ryanair then check in is usually about 1 hour before departure. Other airlines are stricter. When are you travelling ? Weather is wet and snowy in Ireland at the moment and traffic comes to a standstill if there is a little snow shower so bear that in mind. Good planning and have a good time. <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR> <BR>PS Get the Blue Book for the next time - it is excellent.

Old Feb 17th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Donna

Kinnity Castle, near Birr, County Offaly. We stayed there last year, about 37 rooms. Wonderful. A little on the spooky side: only 2 couples in the entire place, so it was like we owned it. Look it up at www.commerce.ie/kinnitty/index.html <BR> <BR>It is on a 1000 acre forested estate, we went horseback riding on top of the Slieve Bloom mountains. I'd go back in an instant and stay a week. <BR> <BR>You are also very, very close, just down the road from Leap Castle which is the most haunted castle in Ireland. Check it out. Best wishes, and have a great time. <BR>

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Jeff

Hi Chris, <BR> Check out Johansens website at www.johansens.com. I remember one house in particular in County Wicklow that may fit the bill. The name of it is The Old Rectory.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Harriett

Maggie -- I hope you're still reading (and responding to) this thread, since I have a question along similar lines. <BR> <BR>My husband and I will be in Dublin at the end of our trip in October for him to participate in the Dublin Marathon. We are staying at Kilronan House, 70 Adelaide Rd in Dublin. My questions: first, are you familiar with this guesthouse? Any Comments? Second, our Continental flight home leaves at 9 a.m. on Thursday. I'm assuming that, since we'll have to head for the airport very early anyway, to return the car and meet the 2-hr. advance checkin, traffic shouldn't be an issue. How long do you think we should allow, or do you think it would be saner to try to find a location closer to the airport for the last night? <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your comments!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Harriett

Sorry -- I meant to address my question to Cathy Lynch -- not sure where Maggie came from!

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:54 AM
ilove ireland

Any other suggestions here?