Irish Castle Base?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Gerry K

Irish Castle Base?

I'd like to go to Ireland this summer with my son, but I'm too old and miserable to travel from town to town living out of a suitcase. Would it make any sense to book six days or so at a single castle, and then drive to various west coast sites? If so, what would be a good, somewhat-central, castle destination?<BR><BR>Many thanks<BR><BR>Gerry K<BR><BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Ruth

That sounds fine - but don't spend the whole time driving, which can be quite time-consuming in Ireland - <BR><BR>for ideas for castles there's another Irish Castle thread around at the moment, or try the website<BR><BR>www.hidden-ireland.com

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Dottie

Go to www.12travel.com and then click on Irish Castles. It will bring all the castles up and you can click on each one to obtain more information. We are staying one night at Dromoland. (can't afford more than that) But there are other good accomodations.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 05:39 AM
kathy

Be sure to pick what areas you want to see before you decide which castle... We stayed at Dromoland and absolutely loved it, but if you want to do the Ring of Kerry, etc., stay at a castle further south. Drives are notoriously slow. (Did I say slow?)

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Gerry K

Great help, Folks. My sincere thanks.<BR>Can someone recommend two castles on the West Coast of Ireland? One in the southern part; another farther north. And if they're a bit cheaper than Dromoland, that would help, but it's not absolutely necessary. (I do not mind driving. I've been to Ireland, and it's a wonderful way to see the countryside.<BR>But I'd rather not change lodgings every day.)<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>Gerry<BR><BR>PS: The more genuine the castle look it has, the better.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Dottie

Jerry<BR>Use the before mentioned web site: www.12travel.com click on "Irish Castles" It will give you pictures, location, and you can click on each for futher information.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Gerry K

Thanks, Dottie. I did go to 12travel.com, and found it quite worthwhile But I was hoping someone might have personal experience that they could share with me.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Dottie

I understand. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:29 AM
AC

Hi Gerry:<BR>Hope you are well....not exactly a castle but in August 2000 I stayed in Genlo Abbey. It is in Galway. www.glenloabbey.com Absolutely wonderful. I was there during the Races which I did not know were going on and enjoyed immensely. The rooms service and atomsphere was outstanding.<BR>Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Ann

Haven't stayed there myself, but have heard mainly good reports about Ashford Castle. Do a search on here--I know there have been discussions about it.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 11:21 AM
xxx

I've stayed at Ashford Castle. It is a very nice place, but not one of the top places I've ever stayed. A little over-hyped perhaps.