Ireland with 14 year old

Jun 4th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Ireland with 14 year old

We are planning a two-week self-drive around Ireland with a 14 year old. Any experiences, good or bad, travelling with kids? I was wondering about accomodations, as mostly they are quoted for 2. Did you have to buy a second room or squeeze another bed into one? B&B's or hotels? What about dining in pubs, etc.
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:23 PM

You'll find many B&Bs that have a 'family room' that will accommodate 3 or 4 people. And, I think you'll find it to be perfectly comfortable to have meals in pubs with your 14 year old.
Jun 4th, 2003, 04:33 PM

In June 2000 we spent 10 days with our then 9 and 13 year old children. All had a great time.

We enjoyed a mix of accommodations....Staying six days at a self catering cottage in Dingle (for$200/week!) was a great experience. Less car time,less packing and unpacking and we were able to take the time to really exlore this beautiful "Gaeltacht" area. The three B&B's we stayed in were a pleasant alternative that we enjoyed, as well. Two had comfortable family rooms. The third B&B's family room was booked so they gave us two adjacent rooms sharing a bath at a family room rate. We had booked all our accomodations ahead.

The kids enjoyed everything....ancient ruins,pub meals,scones,castles,Dublin Zoo, Dingle Aquarium,Slea Head Drive,Conor Pass,sheep in the road, Inch Beach, Dublin's double decker hop-on/hop-off bus tour and so much more!! They also enjoyed the scenery more than I would have thought. Dingle Peninsula was spectacular.

The pubs were the best bet for meals.We found unexpected varity at most pubs and the food tasty and fresh. The soups were never a disappointment!

One thing I would do differently...our Drumcondra B&B was lovely with nice people but we would have made better use of our two nights there had we stayed right in the city.

The whole thing was really fun! We felt our children were welcomed everywhere. If it was just my husband and I we would have skipped the aquarium and the zoo!
The only negative was my daughter (9) was rather jet-lagged and sort of slept-walked the first few days.

We would love to go back! It was a memorable family trip!

Have fun!
Jun 4th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Last year I took my 14 year old niece to Ireland. We had a fantastic time! Ireland is a very child-friendly place. Pubs welcome kids early in the evening...one pub in Dingle even was very warm and welcoming to our staying and listening to trad music after 10 pm, although I've heard a report on an attempt to ban kids from pubs after 8pm. There is so much to see and do that it is a great experience. Shannon (my niece) had to miss 2 weeks of school to go, but with talking to her teachers, my sister got approval - she did a report on history, archeology, folk lore and legends and current events - took all of about 10 to 15 minutes a night to write it - and got extra credit from her school! Planning the trip together was an added bonus. And she was navigator as I drove - her first experience with the adult resposibility to read maps!
Its a trip you'll BOTH always treasure! Have a great time!
Jun 4th, 2003, 06:24 PM

I love this thread! We're taking our 13 year old boy, but to Dublin, with perhaps a day trip elsewhere. Any suggestions for Dublin (including accommodations) and a potential side trip? I know he'll love the pubs, but which ones?!
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Patricia -
We've taken our now 14-year-old daughter to Ireland for the past 2 years (during November). If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me @ [email protected]