Ireland with a 16 year old

May 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Ireland with a 16 year old

Planning a trip to Ireland in Mid-June with my 16 year old son. Planning on visiting SW either Killarney or Dingle as base for 4 days and the Galway as base for 3 days before return back to Dublin. Plan to see sites by hiking and cycling if possible and to also play one or two rounds of golf. Would appreciate anyones input/expertise about:
1. Kilarney vs Dingle as base to explore county Kerry area
2. Golf course recommendations in Kerry or Galway area
3. B&B vs hotel for travel with teenager.
4. Visiting Pubs with 16 year old, any restrictions?
Thanks
May 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM

We were there with our then 16 year old three years ago. I posted about visiting pubs before we went. And I was told that, legally, under 16 year olds aren't allowed in a pub after 9:00. And most of the music starts late.

We were in pubs for the music every night and had no problem. However, we stayed in Galway, Westport and Ennis. This was in March. And our son is a big kid, 6'1'' and, at the time, about 250 lbs.

In June, in busier areas they may be more strict. But one night in Westport, we saw much younger kids eating in the pub quite late.
May 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I think Dingle is much more attractive than Killarney. We were in both areas and I think Dingle is more scenic, has more active pursuits such as hiking and biking and more cultural like the Celtic ruins and the museum of Irish culture. And more homey in the pubs and restaurants.
May 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM

I was there three years ago with my then 17 year old son, (although he looked younger) and there was never a problem in the pubs. We absolutely loved Dingle and would very much like to go back. As for B&B's vs. hotels, this particular (extended) trip was spent exclusively in B&B's, and when my son went on a high school European trip the following year one of the things he liked the least about the trip was the fact that they spent their time in hotels instead of B&B's (your mileage may vary).

Hope this helps,

Chris
May 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM

I was there with teens 17 & 15 a few years ago. They were fine drinking Guinness with us in the pubs and they went out on their own in one of the small towns because, as our B&B host put it "they make the laws in Dublin, but we are not in Dublin". He said as long as they didn't act stupid they would be fine. They were. We all LOVED Dingle - very relaxing with not a lot to do besides hike, see the town, go to the beach, etc. Really perfect after lots of more historic sightseeing(which they also enjoyed). And we all like B&B's better than hotels as a rule.
May 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM

gp101, I would suggest a visit to the National Stud, a beautiful farm for breeding Irish thoroughbred horses. Very interesting with beautiful grounds including a Japanese garden. These animals are magnificent! The Stud is located in Kildare, not far from Dublin.

You will have a great time in Ireland...
May 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM

Your son will not get into most pubs in Dublin after 9. My nephew was turned away when he was 17. Outside of Dublin it will be different though Galway may have the same restrictions. Basically, if there is a guy wearing all black with and ear piece guarding the door (which u will find in Galway) a 17yo is probably not getting in.

I prefer Dingle to Killarney but I also really like Kenmare. Kenmare is a great jumping off point. A possible cycling adventure is through the Gap of Dunloe outside of Killarney. You can take boats back though I'm not sure how that works with the bikes. I think they will transport them.

Have to run, but i'll think about this further.

Bill
May 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM

I just realized that I goofed in my earlier response. I meant to say under 18 year olds are not allowed in the pubs after 9:00. Sorry about that.
May 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM

I visited Galway over the Christmas holiday and my girls 14&15 had no trouble, of course it may be a different story in June.
May 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Loved Dingle! A great place to interact with the locals. Not a fancy place but very welcoming.

Killarney nice/pretty but very "older folks" touristy.
However we did have a delightful night in a local pub with a codgery guy playing the spoons and wonderful singing and local young people.

Search this Thread