Ireland two week itinerary question

Old Jan 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Ireland two week itinerary question

I'm looking at travel July 2 to Ireland & returning 7/18. The group will be my uncle, wife, our three teenage/young adult kids and myself. Considering this trip plan:

Fly to Shannon, rent a minivan (hopefully), and stay at Tralee for two nights.
See Dingle and Ring of Kerry
Travel to Galway and stay three nights.
See Moher, Burren, Connemara & Galway city.
Travel to Derry or Portrush and stay three nights.
See Donegal coast, Atrium coast and Derry/Portrush.
Travel to Belfast and stay two nights.
If the older kids have to return for summer work reasons they'll leave at that point (the one likely returning has spent time in Dublin)
See Belfast town & area.
Travel to Dublin and spend three nights.
See Dublin, Newgrange, Wicklow area.
Travel to Cork & spend the night.
See Cork area sights.
Travel to Shannon & spend the night.
Leave the next day.

I know this gives short shrift to southern Ireland. I prefer to stay multiple nights. I also think flying to Shannon might be easier and easier to adjust to vehicle wise. I do hope I can get a minivan or the like to save money.

What do you think of this plan and are there holidays/festivals during that time that should cause me to adjust my schedule?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 07:59 AM

My only question would be why you want to start with Tralee, Dingle, and Ring of Kerry - and then move on to Galway and clockwise around the island. It would mean less backtracking if you added those items at the end (after Cork), and started with going to Galway from Shannon AP (which is an easy and short drive).

In Dublin, I would try to find hotels at the outskirts with good connections by either DART or Luas trains to Dublin city, so you are not bound to use expensive hotel garages and navigate from and to the city on your day trips.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM

It's true that I would try to make a more circular route, but you are right in assuming you can't do ALL of Ireland in two weeks. You're concentrating on northern and western Ireland in this trip, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The drive from Dublin to Cork is a long travel day, but as long as you aren't trying it the day you fly in, you should be fine. It looks like a good plan!
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

I did some more thinking and I do think cutting a night in Belfast is the way to go, adding a night to Cork/Kinsdale. But i do understand the good points made about all the driving. I also might consider reversing the route so as to avoid being in Belfast the weekend of July 12. I'm not dead set on towns to stay, but I do like spending multiple nights in the same location - taking day trips to sights within driving distance. One factor that influences the travel is my daughter and son might have to have an abbreviated trip - leaving on Sunday instead of the next Saturday so as to return to work. Also, my daughter has seen Dublin. If that is not a factor, then we all have more options. I need to plot a matrix of flights from Raleigh/Durham to Dublin/Shannon/Cork/Belfast to see the least expensive that fits our plan. does anyone know if car rental is less expensive in Belfast as opposed to Dublin or Shannon?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I am not sure if it is more or less, but I DO know you will likely get hit with a hefty charge if you pick up the car in one country (UK - Northern Ireland) and drop it off in another (Republic of Ireland) or vice versa, so be aware of that.