Search

Ireland travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland travel

Ok gang, I am new on the travel scene...three of us are traveling to ireland..plan to be gone 16 days; aiming to book accomadations a couple of days ahead as we wander
the beautiful Isle, staying perhaps two days each and branching out . Is that a crazy idea ? Or is great, leaving us time to soak up the sites along the way. Ideas please!!!..
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just one quick comment -- booking a day or two ahead as you travel can work out great. But a LOT depends on where and when. In high season and the most popular locations - things do book up and since you'd need triple rooms or two rooms in some places -- you might be out of luck. And especially in Dublin you'd want to book ahead.

When is your trip and what areas are you visiting?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just above this post in "search the forums" type in Ireland and you will get many recent threads to help you start planning.

We are going in Sept. and have asked many questions lately as have others.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Hi countrygal:

Your ideas are fine, but still a bit vague. Janis is certainly spot on about booking. Get an idea of the sort of places you want to go and let us know more.

Bill
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all.. It will be three adult women..will fly in to Dublin...but thought we would get out of there promptly and savor the country side...spending a couple days in Dublin just before we depart...sort of plan a sweep to south west and up the west coast. Have lots of places noted on map, but will be happy to see what ever. Not knowing how long it takes at different sites makes me shakey on definate plans. However I understand what tip you have given me. We will be gone from the first of July. So sounds like janisj and others think I had better get some reservations.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Oh..I forgot to ask, what do you say about checking in a bit out from the "sites" to get lodging? And can you recommend a good road map? I have three maps one has a lot of towns, but no counties marked, the other has some roads but no counties...dahhh! confusing as most of the travel books locate points of interest by county. Do you know if the garmin gps have logistics of Ireland?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM

you don't want a folding map -- you want a road atlas which you can pick up in Ireland much cheaper than in the States. (You also might want to rent a GPS/ your car)

You have enough time for a nice loop around the central/SW/W of Ireland. One issue -- getting 'out of Dodge' immediately after landing at Dublin might not be the best idea. jetlag can be a real danger w/ driving right off the flight. You should consider staying a night or two in Dublin car-less to acclimate and recover. Then pick up a car and head out. Then maybe stay back in Dublin or at the airport the last night before flying out.

Many towns have very helpful tourist offices that will help you book accommodations a night or two ahead -- or even at the last minute if you get stuck somewhere. But in some of the really scenic bits on the west coast, your choices may be limited.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Any recommendations for Ireland Atlas?
Frommers...Collins... AA... Taylor and Skinner
Help...
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Buy whichever one is on special in the local petrol station or book shop after you are in Ireland. There is always one or another on promotional pricing and you will pay a tiny fraction of buying one back home.

My last AA one was less than €5 (the same one costs more than $25 in the States)

Any will be fine . . . .
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM

meant to add - you can use any old cheap fold up or on-line map for your basic planning at home. You won't need the detailed road atlas until you are 'on the ground' and start driving a day or so after landing.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Hi, Two of us flying into Dublin in September. We have only four nights there so what best to do? Can't decide on an overnight rail excursion or to hire a car for a couple of days & spend the other two in Dublin. Irish Tourism are offering a special promotion in 2010 with free rail travel on their regular time-tables for overseas seniors 66 years and older. Also discounts on rail tours. You have to book in advance. Your thoughts please.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM

<B>geyserland:</B> You will get better response if you start a new thread w/ your own questions. Your questions may get buried if you tack them on to Countrygal's thread, and her trip has a different focus than yours.

See the "Start a New Topic" button up top? Click that and then you're good to go.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Atlas--Collins is great and available quite cheaply from Amazon in the US. Order it right away so you can use it for trip planning. It put things in a lot more persepective than the regular, not very detailed map I had used for planning.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I am back from a WONDERFUL trip to Ireland..and wanting to go back. We went no reservations!! No problem at all even in mid July. Best by far Fortview House B&B near Goleen in West Co Cork! (near Mizen Head) People, lodging and the food were all excellent (ask for the scones or pancakes..you've never tasted anything so good),thanks to Violet Connell. Thank all of you at Fodors for advice and ideas in making this trip so special. I'll add more...lots of sights and experiences never to be forgotten.