Ireland Tour --

Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Tour --

Any opinions about this canned tour to Ireland?
Stay 1 Week in Dublin & Eastern Ireland and 1 Week in Tralee & Western Ireland with Breakfast & Dinner Daily ~ Explore all Corners of Ireland with Leisurely Day Tours ~ Dublin ~ Medieval Kilkenny ~ Scenic Wicklow Mountains, UNESCO World Heritage Site ~ Waterford ~ Blarney Castle ~ Scenic Lakes of Killarney ~ Tralee & Country Kerry ~ World Famous Ring of Kerry ~ World Famous Dingle Peninsula Excursion ~ Limerick ~ Village of Bunratty
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
it is impossible to know much about a tour w/o reading the exact description. For instance terms like "see such-and-such" means you see it from the window of the coach while driving by. "visit such-and-such" - you actually get off the bus and go inside. Plus which sites/the number of sites in a day would tell us how much "coach time" there is.

So give us the link to the tour and we can give you better advice.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Here is the link ...
http://www.legendaryjourneys.com/PDF...land%202007.pd
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:45 AM

Your link doesn't work, but I had a quick dig into the Legendary Journeys site and found the package.

The itinerary is okay -- pretty standard stuff. The description is somewhat sloppy -- for example, I don't believe that you will hit Blarney Castle on a day trip from Dublin! I suspect that the package includes day trips on only about half the days, and that you will have to manage for yourself for a number of days. I don't know the hotels, but the Dublin base is Donabate which is well outside the city and not a great location (although it is on the coast). The Kerry base is Tralee, a busy town that I don't like very much -- it's a bit rough.

The headline price is $1799. If you get something like that to include air travel, it's very cheap, and you cannot expect grade A treatment at that sort of price.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM

I'd imagine that Donabate as a base for the Kerry, Limerick and Bunratty legs of the tour is a typo and they meant to say Tralee. Donabate is an isolated little village outside Dublin and not a suitable base for a tour. Although it does have nice beaches and a couple of goodish golf courses, it would be better if your group was based in a city-centre hotel so that you could perhaps go exploring on your own in the evenings.

As for Tralee - this is a totally biased opinion but I don't like Tralee at all. Its reputation is that of a rough town where, for its size, there seems to be a lot of violence, especially after the pubs close.

I think you'd be better off spending a bit extra and staying in better locations.