Reload this Page >

Ireland Self Drive Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Jim

I'm doing a self-drive trip in Ireland in early May.I would appreciate info on B&B's <BR> and driving do's & don'ts. Thanks

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Neil

I took a 2-week vacation in Ireland in Sept. 99. I highly recommend Thrifty car rental. PLEASE reserve your car from home (I live in Canada). I did it over the internet (www.thrifty.com, look for the Ireland site). You will save 50% versus renting it when you got there. I arranged the whole thing by e-mail. I spent 4 days in Dublin, 6 days on the road and 4 days more in Dublin. There are hundreds/thousands of B&B's on the highway. No need for reservations in May or September. I didn't have a single problem. Pick the most beautiful home you see (they all have signs on their front lawns indicating B&B) and walk right up to the house. People are extraordinary. I paid 18 Irish Pounds a night wherever I went (breakfast included). I drove from Dublin to Kilkenny. Kilkenny to Waterford. Waterford to Cork (stops along the way). Cork to Kinsale (a must stop). Kinsale to Skibbereen. Skibbereen through the Ring of Kerry (an absolute must) and I stopped just after the Ring of Kerry, then I stopped north of Limerick and then a night in Galway and then back to Dublin. Buy Fodor's Ireland book it's excellent and feel free to e-mail me because I love talking about my trip to Ireland. Have fun.

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 03:12 PM
ginny

Jim: This question is posted twice!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Linda

We did a self-drive tour in June of 2000. We flew into Dublin and out of Shannon. We were 3 days in Dublin without renting a car, using the buses. Then picked up our rental and drove to Killarney. Stayed at the Applecroft House for 3 nights and it was beautiful. Then next stop was Dingle...Slea Head drive was spectacular and stayed at Duinin House for 2 nights, again a lovely place. Then to the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin for the night. Then onto Galway for 2 nights. Galway was great fun. Dropped off the car at Shannon and flew out from there. I did all the b&b's on-line. Check www.townand country.ie or www.beourguest.ie or hidden-ireland.com. Driving was done by my husband and he found it to be ok after the first day of adjusting to driving on the opposite side of the road. We took our time and learned quickly that the main roads are what we consider secondary over here. Yes, there are sheep in the road, but that is part of the charm. Just double the time that you would estimate 30 miles would take you and all will be well.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 12:39 PM
neil

wife are considering a driving tour of ireland this september. did you plan yours thru a travel agency or what? seen ads for driving tours, airfare, car rentals and vouchers for b&b, is this what you did. would like any info you can supply. <BR> bob ([email protected])

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:28 PM
mikey

Rent your car here, but forget the vouchers. We did have a few problems with them. There is so many B&B's you won't have a problem just knocking on the door. You cannot find a nicer bunch a people than the Irish. Looking forward to returning.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:32 AM
cindy t

We recently returned from a self-drive tour booked through Brendan Tours via our local travel agency. It was great. We opted for hotels over b&bs which worked out great for us - the largest hotel rooms we've ever had outside the US. Also, we liked having a pub on site to visit each evening when we'd plan the next day's journey. On the advice of friends who had done this same type of trip we rented the very smallest car possible and were glad we did - some of the roads are very, very narrow. We had no problems using vouchers (but it was December). We'd simply call the night before to book for the next night. We loved Dingle and weren't that impressed with Dublin - lots of traffic. If you do go to Dingle, be sure to drive over Connor Pass - unless you're faint hearted. If it's a clear day, the view is spectacular. Have fun - the Irish are wonderful.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Steph

Hopefully you can trade off drivers because if you're from the US, the intense concentration required to stay safe means you miss out on all the scenery. The poor driver really misses out on a lot, and if there's only one opt for some tours now & then.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Debbie

I agree with Steph. I did ALL the driving during my 9 day trip in November. It got to be a running joke when my Mother would say " oh look at that church" or " did you see that...." and I would have to say - Nope- I am kind of busy trying to drive here. <BR> <BR>The only place I got to really see as I drove was on the way from Waterford to Killarney on the N?? that goes straight across, not the one on the coast. <BR>It was beautiful and the trees formed an arbor overhead. plus you could see all the way to the coast line - just breathtaking! <BR>We did a bus tour for the Ring of Kerry, and it was the best 13pounds per person we spent. I never would have enjoyed the view (even in the mist /fog) if I had to drive that. I probably would have turned back. Besides, with something like the Ring of Kerry - you get a running monologue from the driver - funny and informative too. <BR> <BR>good luck in your planning. <BR> <BR>P.S. I have a post further on - title TRY AGAIN... where I list the B&B's we used - pull it up for my reviews of them. <BR> <BR>Debbie