Ireland Self Drive - B&B question

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:25 AM
MHS

Ireland Self Drive - B&B question

What is the difference between "Standard Farmhouse" and "Ensuite B&B"? Have never done B&B -- any info welcome on how they compare to hotels other than being small, personal, no room service (not that we use it anyway), etc.

Thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:58 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
tina

I live in Ireland and yes it is nice and overpriced to stay in modern hotels but b&b accomodation is very superior and can be as expensive as hotels. It is more cosier and yes you will have private bathroom if it is en-suite. Good luck - where are you going?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
hobis

Every B&B I've stayed in in Ireland were just basic houses - stay in a room upstairs and come down for breakfast in the dining room. I'm assuming that ensuite B&B means that they'll bring breakfast to your room. I love B&Bs, you meet the most interesting people, the rooms are so unique and it's just like being a guest in someone's home. The people who run them are usually so helpful in telling you how to get places or other things you need to know. Now I'm getting jealous, it's been 4 years since I've been back Have fun

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:14 PM
janis

No, Ensuite does not mean they bring your breakfast to your room (tho' some do that)

"Ensuite" means the bathroom in in your room

"private" means the bathroom is yours alone but not IN your bedroom but down the hall

"shared" means the bathroom is shared by occupants of two or more rooms

Farmhouse B&B means just that - a B&B which also happens to be on a working farm. Some of the best B&Bs are on farms

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:30 PM
kdr

Given how difficult driving at night can be in Ireland, you should think hard about whether you want B&Bs in central locations in town, so that you can walk everywhere, or on the working farms, which tend to be further out of town. If you are going in the summer, with the long days, it probably doesn't matter as much.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Paul

Whatever you do, plan to arrive at the B&B in the daytime. It's pretty black out in the countryside at night; I've come mighty close to hitting a horse, and knocking on the wrong farmhouse door late at night!

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:29 AM
bill

It seems to be standard courtesy to arrive at your B&B between 4:00-6:00 PM. I rarely stay at B&Bs in town and have never had a problem getting to them at night. We enjoy the quiet of the countryside to being in town, but that's us. Don't worry, driving at night in Ireland is no different than driving and night anywhere else. Don't drive to fast and you'll be fine. Actually, seeing the glow of headlights from around a bend actually helps. Just make sure you lease a car with headlights.

Bill

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:57 PM
janis

I don't get all these comments about late arrival at a B&B. Agree with Bill. Unless you have pre-arranged to do so, it is VERY bad form to arrive at a B&B late at night, These are private homes and they have a life besides renting rooms. They don't have large staffs to be on duty around the clock.

So plan on getting to any B&B in the late afternoon and have tea and biscuits before heading out again if you want to see something else that day.