IRELAND - See the best in 4 days

Oct 27th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Pam

IRELAND - See the best in 4 days

Going to Dublin on Business, have 4 days at front end of trip to see the countryside. Really interested in beautiful scenery and don't mind long drives. Have identified Doolin, Adare, Dingle, Cliffs of Mohr. Seem alittle scattered don't I? Please Help. I will have a couple of days while in Dublin to take day trips to the south, so think the West is where I should go. Suggestions for quaint towns, pubs, scenery., etc. Thanks

Oct 27th, 2002, 02:26 PM
maxie

You'll be sprinting from place to place and with driving times taking so long... I suggest limiting your geography a bit. This will be heresy to many, but I suggest skipping the Cliffs since they're so far north (and if it's foggy they're closed) and concentrate on the southwest... Killarney, Kenmare, etc. then back down along the coast up to Dublin. Perhaps you could fly into Shannon then drive to Dublin.

Oct 27th, 2002, 03:17 PM
lo

i am going to ireland for four days-have car
flying into shannon
any specifics on what to see or not to miss

lo

Oct 27th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Pam

Thanks Maxie: You are probably right.Can you recommend any real special villages, places to stay, pubs, or especially beautiful scenery to see. Can't fly in or out of Shannon. Really appreciate all input

Oct 27th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Pam

Can you fly from Dublin to Shannon? Does that make since?

Oct 27th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Krista

Why not just go see Waterford, Wexford, and Kilkenny and down that side of Ireland. You can spend 4 days driving and not get to see much. All of those towns have a great scenery not to mention the other wonderful stops between there and Dublin.

Oct 28th, 2002, 07:59 AM
debbie

sure you can fly from Dublin to Shannon- that is how Aer Lingus does it for off season travelers wanting to go in/out of Shannon. We are flying from Chicago to Shannon - but stop over in Dublin.

This may be a good solution if you really want to see Killarney , etc.

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:18 AM
bill

Pam

Have you made your flight reservations yet? If not, fly into Shannon and leave out of Dublin. You could stay in Doolin your first night and see the cliffs. Drive to Dingle for nights 2 & 3. Stop by the cliffs again the on the way to Dingle. They are so peaceful before the busses arrive, then take the ferry at Killimer to get to Dingle. You can hit Adare on the drive to Dublin. You are not terribly scattered at all, other than being on the opposite side of the country from Dublin.

If you have made airline reservations, the cost to change your ticket to arive in Shannon and leave out of Dublin may not be terrible. I would do that over flying from Shannon to Dublin. By the time you get to the airport, check in, go through security, find your way through Dublin airport, you probably would have been most of the way to Dublin. The drive from Dingle to Dublin is doable in a day and you'll get to see so much more than the inside of an airport.

Oct 28th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Nancy

May I recommend that you visit/drive to the Cliffs of Moher, scenery of mountains and coastline at Donegal, Kylemore Abbey, Glenveagh Castle and National Park, Dublin, Kilkenny Castle, and the Dingle Peninsula.

Oct 29th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Traveler

Just returned from 2 weeks in Southwestern Ireland. The Dingle Peninsula is a beautiful sight and the town of Dingle is very quaint. Stayed at the Greenmount House there.

Oct 29th, 2002, 07:07 AM
bill

All the things that Nancy suggested are great, but not in 4 days.

Bill

Oct 29th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Ann

See, Bill? We agree again. Nancy's itinerary would be great, but too much for 4 days.

Oct 29th, 2002, 12:15 PM
howard jones

Go to places near Dublin if you have only 4 days.Worth visiting are Powerscourt House and Gardens in Enniskerry,Glendalough and the rest of Wicklow Mountains National Park,Kilkenny all on the south side.On the north side see Newgrange.Look them up in Google.com initially.There is plenty to see in Dublin city itself too.

Oct 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
bill

Ann:

Yes, it's true. Perhaps we think more alike than we thought. hmmmm....

When are you going next? We'll be there in May.

Bill