Search

Ireland: Leitrim Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland: Leitrim Lodging

Hello all,

We may build a few Leitrim days into our May Ireland itinerary. We're particularly interested in the Ballinamore area. Having chosen a relatively untouristed area, I' having trouble finding recommendations (let alone actual websites for the bed and breakfast spots). I'm looking for experiences (good and bad) with b&bs or guesthouses. We prefer in town lodging but would consider a place right outside of town.

Thanks,
oopsy
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Although off the tourist path Ballinamore is a pleasant village particularly for those with roots in the area. Until very recently it had one of the highest emmigration numbers in Ireland. As a result a visiting Yank is very welcomed by all. Everyone has at least one relative in the states.
The Leitrim Geneology Center in Ballinamore is extremely helpful. You can email them prior to your visit with any clues you may have and they are real detectives!
Two accommodations in town are familiar to me..Hamill's guesthouse is a new home in town, standard guesthouse, more like a small hotel. Sui Maire is on the outskirts of the village and is older but more authentic..large rooms and bath and a genial hostess, Eileen Breen. "Both are on the Irish Tourist Board site.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cavan97!

Have you been to either of these two places? We don't need fancy, just clean. (Of course, we'll also take fancy). Do you know how far out of town Sui Maire is? My SO will want an easy break from my mother and I (meaning an easy walk to and from a pint).

The genealogical center has already tracked down the birth certificate for my mother's grandfater. Perhaps there will be more information to follow.

Thanks again,
oopsy
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM

Hamill's guesthouse is right in town so it would, no doubt, be a good choice for you.
Ballinamore is located on the Shannon Lough Erne waterway. a walk along the beautiful towpath may amuse your husband. He can also catch a cruise on the Shannon for an afternoon.
Ballinamore is a working small town..pubs (plenty of them) are authentic..not "tarted" up to catch the tourist trade. Great conversation in these pubs and occasional music in the evening at McAlister's. The Fenagh Abbey ruin outside town is mystical. The cemetary there is filled with great Leitrim names.
Enjoy and be sure to post a trip report.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Cavan!