Ireland Itinerary - too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Ireland in July...Just wondering if this itinerary looks like too much or if you have any other suggestions!!!

Day 1 - Arrive Dublin, explore Dublin, Stay in Dublin
Day 2 - More Dublin, Stay in Dublin
Day 3 - Train to Galway, explore Galway, Stay in Galway
Day 4 - Aran Islands, Stay in Galway
Day 5 - Drive to Killarney, Stop at Burren, Cliffs of Moher on the way, stay Killarney
Day 6 - Ring of Kerry, Stay Killarney
Day 7 - Dingle Penninsula, make out way to somewhere near Shannon (where is a good town to stay, close to airport but things to do at night?)
Day 8 - Fly out of Shannon
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:39 AM

It seems fine to me. Days 5 &7 will be very full, but not unreasonable. The days are long in July so you will have plenty of daylight.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 11:27 AM

<i>...make out way to somewhere near Shannon (where is a good town to stay, close to airport but things to do at night?)</i>

Newmarket-on-Fergus seemd to be a nice small town..we stayed at the Clare Hotel a few years back. If your budget can withstand it, Dromoland Castle is beautifully siutated just a few miles off road from Newmarket, also close to Shannon.

The drive from Galway to Killarney can seem longer than the 135 miles as advertised. Road through the Burren and downcoast to Moher is a bit wind-y...short cut to Killarney could be the very short ride Tarbet Ferry south of Lahinch...(nothing fancy).

Above all, you will enjoy the mindset and beauty of Ireland, begorrah and fer sure!
stu
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM

Fab...unless you already have lodgings in Dublin, I recommend Staunton's-on-the-Green, across from St. Stephen's pretty "green"..walk everywhere frm this location. And in Dingle, if Dolan's Restaurant and Pub is still sround, excellent menu offerings. He at one time also had a delightful B and B upstairs...

Dromoland, I didn't mention, is a castle-hotel. Rates were pretty steep a few years ago, that's why I mentioned budget.

Stu
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM

Ennis is another town near to Shannon--small enough to be walkable but big enough to have pubs and restaurant choices.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM

Whenever someone indicates that they intend to do a day trip to the Aran Islands and then just return to Galway for the night, I suggest that they do an overnight on Inishmore. You'll get a completely different feel for the island once the day-trippers have left. We enjoyed our overnight stay there very much.