First trip to Ireland

Search

First trip to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Ireland

We're going to Ireland in mid-May for 2 weeks. The only must-do on our list is a trip to Leitrim (Carrick on Shannon) from whence my ancestors came. I read the responses to another First Trip to Ireland inquiry wherein the person was trying to cram too much into a week. We are not infirm, but are in our late 60's and have no desire to run ourselves ragged. Can anyone recommend a reasonable itinerary? We're flying into Dublin and out of Shannon
Suzanne
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM

You have done many things right already including posting MUST sight, age, type traveler, taking in Lessons Learned from other postings, and landing in Dublin/departing from Shannon. Good job!

For a first trip to Ireland this is what I recommend: couple of days in Dublin, rent a car and head down to the Rock of Cashel, also vist Cahir Castle. Spend some time around Killarney to see the beautiful National Park, continue on to Kenmare, make it your home base from where to explore the Ring of Kerry. On to Dingle for a couple of days, up your way to Shannon. Since you have two weeks you may want to include a visit to Kinsale, which is quite picturesque.

Consider Belfast; I loved it there. If you do, you may want to head out to Belfast at the start of your trip.

As far as calculations, road distances in Ireland are deceiving. As an example, plan a whole day for the Ring of Kerry so you can stop and take it all in. Have fun!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Kinsale tip. We were afraid that it would be a bit touristy. Regarding distances...we're figuring that our average speed is going to be about 30 mph and will plan accordingly. Back in our younger days we used to rush from one place to another and stay only one night. We're over it... Now we like to use the hub and spoke system and choose a few places from which to explore in different directions.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Well, two years ago we took my MIL, who is disabled and was in her late 70s to Ireland. After we landed in Dublin, we rented a car, drove over to Trim for the first night. From there we went to Castle Pollard for the day and drove down to our rented cottage about 30 miles west of Limerick.

From the cottage, we then had the ability to take day trips all over, without having to hassle with packing and unpacking. She got to see the Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, did the Bunratty banquet and much more.

The cottage was beautiful and we loved the location, isolated but only a few minutes to a small town with a great grocery store.

Here is the link to the cottage...

http://www.hazelcottageireland.com/

dave
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestion. Keep em coming!