Search

ireland itinerary and hotel help please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ireland itinerary and hotel help please

Here is what we have so far:

May 16 Dingle Emlagh House -- has great reviews herw and we want a good night's sleep the first night Will do Slea Head Drive and visit the Blasket center.
May 17 - 21 Killarney on an organized walking tour for 3 full days -- starts in the evening of the 17th and finishes up at breakfast on the 21st.
May 21-22 Sheedy's in Lisdoonvarna or Dumcreehy House in Ballyvaughn want to do the Cliffs of Moher, Ailwee Caves, Burren
May 23-25 Clifden or Westport -- which city and why? Would like to do Connemara, Sky Road, Kylemore Abbey, Croagh Patrick, Achill Island, Aran Islands weather and time permitting.
May 26-27 Donegal -- Rhu Gorse -- Donegal Town, Slieve League, Folk Village Museum at Glencolmcille, Glenveagh National PArk
May 28-29 Antrim -Whitepark House or Crockatinny or Craigs Park any preference on a place to stay? -- Giants Causeway, Carrick a Rede Bridge, Bushmills Distillery
May 30-31 Navan -- killyon Guest House -- Newgrange, Trim Castle
June 1st -- return home from Dublin

Questions: I know we are not spending enough time anywhere but is the time allocation reasonable?

I was trying to have the drive time from one place to the next be 2-3 hours and never over 4 -- have I succeeded?

I can't decide between Clifden or Westport -- Where would you stay and why? Does it make a difference?

Also, Lisdoonvarna or Ballyvaughn or even Doolin -- will it make a difference and where would you stay?

Any feedback on the places that I am thinking about staying are appreciated.

Thanks much!

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I think Westport a much more attractive place than Clifden. Both are relatively small towns, but Clifden is the smaller. Each has about the same number of visitors, and Westport can absorb them better, and still seem like a normal town with plenty of other activities.

It is not convenient to get to the Aran Islands from either place, but you can't do everything.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:58 AM

IMO you trying to fit in way too much. the drive from Clifden to Donegal is pretty considerable if you want to stop along the way at all. The burren to Clifden or Westport is also pretty sizeable as well. I would concentrate on the S.W and west eliminating Donegal and Anterim or eliminate the S.W. and concentrate on Donegal, Anterim, and Westport (My preference of the two)
You will regret trying to fit too much into the trip.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:19 AM

You really need to get a handle on your drive times. Look at the following website and remember that the real time will be somewhat slower.

www.aaroadwatch.ie

I prefer Clifden to Westport but may be in the minority. It depends on what you are looking for in location.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I was very comfortable at Sheedy's in Lisdoonvarna and the food is wonderful. You are right in the village but it was quiet. Our rooms looked out to fields. Another place near Ballyvaughan is Gregan's Castle. It is a spot of green in the midst of the Burren. You would have views of the sea. Check them out. I stayed in Clifton for 10 days, 7 at Mal Dua and 3 at Station House Hotel. They were both OK. We also stayed at Ballynahinch Castle and loved it. From Ballynahinch you can tour Connemara just as well as from Clifton. I wish I had of made it up to Westport. You are on the right track to have a wonderful time in Ireland.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM

mpkp -
Westport. It's a wonderful, lively town not all that focused on tourism and it's convenient to great day trips. Clew Bay is amazing. Both Achill Island and Croagh Patrick are a short drive away. One thought - if you don't make it out to Aran Island (which looks entirely likely) you may wish to go to Clare Island instead of Achill Island. You take the ferry to Clare and you drive to Achill which makes Clare quieter and a little bit apart from the regular world somehow. Far fewer visitors. You walk to the lighthouse and then hike along the cliffs. We did the main cliff hike at Achill but preferred the hike on Clare for views and walkability (the hill to the cliffs on Achill is boggy.)

The drive from Westport to Donegal is long but quite interesting as there are great stops along the way. My favorite stop was at Carrowmore tombs in Sligo. The views of Ben Bulben as you drive are memorable. We also drove north from Westport to Ceide fields but that was less interesting to us than Carrowmore.

For Donegal - look into places in or near Killybegs rather than Donegal town. St. John's Point is nearby - that's an incredible place.

I think your time allocation is busy but reasonable. I prefer a slower pace but we used to travel more quickly and enjoyed that as well. I've never stayed in Lisdoonvarna but I've stayed in both Doolin and Ballyvaughan and have a slight preference for Doolin.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:40 AM

You have a great list of things to see...you'll be pushing it to do that much in two weeks. Just be prepared to see what you can and accept that in some areas, you might not be able to get to everything on your list.

Not sure of your arrival details. If you're coming in on the 16th from an international flight, Slea Head and Blasket Centre might not be an option on Day 1.

I like Ballyvaughn, and it would put you a few steps closer to your next stop (same holds true for Westport), but Lisdoonvarna is nice as well.

Realize there is a lot of ground to cover between Clifden/Westport and Dongal and the Antrim coast. My suggestion would be to not pack in so many sites and so much travel at the end of your trip, unless you're insist on the go-go-go pace. Although they are beautiful, Donegal and Antrim are the most logical spots to trim from your itinerary.

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM

I agree with most of the other posters that you have an extensive list of things to see and you'll probably miss some of them, whichis fine. The walking tour atthe beginning will give you the nice slow moving section. The rest of the driving is reasonable enough.

I sometimes get accused of telling people to slow down too much, but seriously, Westport to Donegal is not a terribly long drive though you will pass some nice things in between. That's ok, you can come back sometime. I think the Donegal to Antrim branch blows by the most scenery.

I agree that the Aran islands is a stretch especially if you are considering staying in Clifden or Roundstone. That will take up an entire day. If you really find the perfect day, you could consider flying from Inverin instead of the boat which will save you a couple of hours of transit time. It's only about E10 more. There is PLENTY to see in the area, so leaving out the Arans won't kill you. My suggestion is Westport also. Lots of fine trad music to be had there. Don't insist on going into Matt Molloy's just because he's famous. I heard some great music next door at the Porter House and I could actually get close enough to hear. Clifden is nice also, but I agree there is more to do in and around Westport.

To me, the southern coast of Donegal can be a full day's entertainment. Everytime you see an option for the scenic coastal route, take it. It runs off the main road to Kilcar and then to Carrick. A spectacular drive.

The road to Slieve League is a bit confusing. Follow the signs to Bunglass Cliffs. When you get to the gate, open it, drive through and then close it behind you. The road to the top is one of the more terrifying in Ireland (coming back down is the worst part) but well worth the sweaty palms. If it's cloudy and rainy, you won't see a thing so keep that in mind.

Glenveagh can take a few hours to a full day to see. You have to take a coach into the park and the castle is worth a stop. There are some fine walks along the lake there and a nice one that climbs above the castle.

One of my favorite drive in Ireland is out to Fanad Head. The lighthouse at the tip is on a rocky cliff and the views are wonderful. Consider it as an option to Glenveigh and/or something to see on the way to Antrim.

I stayed and Crockatinny and liked it. It is about half way between Ballintoy and Ballycastle. Find out if there is a session on at House of McDonnel in Ballycastle. Tiny narrow pub with great music sessions. One of the oldest pubs in NI.

Try to get to Carrick-a-Rede early, before the buses arrive. Crossing the bridge with 50 other people is not much fun. There is a nice view of the island from the road along the coast. Also, when you leave, follow the trail up the hill away from the bridge. It gives a nice angle on the bridge and the island.

Get tickets early for Newgrange. Tours are on a 1st come first serve basis.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input. My husband really wants to go up to the Antrim Coast and I know it is a stretch. If we cut something out it would be Donegal -- but for some reason it sits in my head as a place I really would like to see. If it was necessary, I would cut that out.

We do start this trip more slowly as we will be on foot and in one place for 4 nights. We are also flying over business class so I really hope to get 4 hours of sleep. That would make the first day and drive to Dingle more enjoyable.

I am also agreeable to cutting out the Aran islands if it is too much trouble.

I thought we would get up to Clare around 12 or 1 and have time to do the caves that day and maybe the Cliffs of Moher. We would have the next full day in the Burren.

Y'all have convinced me to stay in Westport. On the drive up would you do Kylemore Abbey and the Sky Road and what else? Then a day in Conneamra -- not really sure what I am doing there -- need to research more! And Croagh Patrick and Achill Island the third day. Then we would go up to Donegal -- I'm not sure what we would do on the way up. Maybe the Carrowmore Tombs -- sounds interesting -- and Donegal Town and the Folk Village and the if it is not too far out of the way. The next full day we would go to Slieve League and Glenveigh if that makes sense. Then we would stop in Derry -- and maybe Fanad Head -- have to find out where that is -- on the way to Antrim. We would then have a full day to drive the coase and the bridge -- with the bridge being the first thing we do!

The drive to Navan seems to be the longest so we would try to get an early start -- by 8 or 8:30 to get there by noon -- and maybe do Trim Castle that day. We could go to Newgrange the next day. And then home.

I will try to see if the place we stay in Navan can get us tickets to Newgrange -- else it will be the first thing we do that day!

It is so difficult as there is sooo much to see and do and so hard to decide what to cut out.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

I would stay in Clifden. Dolphin End is a great bed and breakfast situated overlooking the bay. We loved the small town, excellent restaurants and pubs. Took backroad to Ballyvaughn . Stayed at Drumcreechy House. Owner delightful but there are children and a separate place from the main house. Anywhere in that area is close enough to see Burren etc and enjoy the famous Doolon pubs. I want to do everything and push my husband to the limit but I think you might be doing to much. I underestimated my driving time between cities. If you do trip nik add 30 to 45 minutes to their time with absolutely no stopping time inbetween. This makes lunch and sightseeing out of the question. I would stick to the southern area and do northern another time. Have a wonderful time. We loved Ireland. PS one of our fav places was Dingle and Connemeara. However I believe anywhere is delightful. It at Out of the Blue in Dingle.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM

"Then a day in Conneamra -- not really sure what I am doing there -- need to research more!"

I have just posted a trip report under the heading "A Connemara Weekend" to give you some ideas. It does not quite fit the shape of your itinerary, but you had not advised me what your requirements would be, so I had to follow my own programme for the weekend.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM

I would suggest a heads up on the Killyon B&B. We stayed there this past summer and I was disappointd. Would not stay there again in spite of what was arguably the best breakfast in Ireland.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Going to the Burren should be planned out... the Ailwee Caves are very near the north end, and Ballyvaughn, whereas the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin are near the southwestern end - at least an hour or more driving without stopping, and you will want to stop lots!!

We stayed in Ennis and did a big circle through the Burren, ending up at the Cliffs - it took all day. But we stopped at lots of places!

Don't miss the Smokehouse in Lisdoonvarna - great food, cheeses, salmon, yummy! Even potcheen for sale ....

Make sure to see the Gap of Dunloe in Killarney - beautiful! Also, if you like crepes, look up Strawberry Fields, in the Ring of Kerry. Delish!

On your Newgrange day, try to get to the Hill of Tara - and try to do it early, before most tourists will get there. It is incredible.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM

We stopped at many of the sights that you are looking to visit on our family trip this past June (can click on my name for more info).

We were spoiled by having our own private driver...so may not be as easy if driving on your own

we drove from shannon to westport in a day with lots of stops... thru burren, stop at dunguaire castle, thor ballylee, drive thru galway, and walked around cong/cong abbey.

I would suggest on your westport section...drive via cong to westport...enjoy walking around town, one day drive to past croagh patrick thru doo lough valley to kylemore abbey round the sky road (or atleast part of it) and loop back around to westport...then next day achill island (or other sight in area)

on our way up to donegal we made a stop at carrowmore...interesting even in a light rain, quick stop at yeat's grave sight, belleek, then a side trip to tully castle, then stayed at one of my favorite b&b's ever...castle murray house on st. john's point, donegal.

castle murray house also has a fantastic 4-5 course meal...well worth it...you will not want to leave!

I would suggest for donegal either spend time on southern edge (slieve league/glencolumbcille) or stay further north and visit glenveagh...the only way I think you could do both is like we did...one night south and one night near glenveagh (we stayed north of letterkenny)...our time table for working our way north went approx like this...9am drove along southern edge of donegal to glencolumbcille then in towards adara and north along the coast most of the way then in towards glenveagh...we were able to catch the last tour of the castle...then arrived at our B&B a bit before 6pm...long day...lots of beautiful scenery.

I have stayed twice in doolin and would do it again...you could spend one night at gus o'connors and one at mcgann's...good pub grub, music , and pints at both.
this last time...loved the breakfast at cullinan's B&B...get the lemon/honey pancakes!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hi Helen:

Is that the Dolphin Beach House in Clifden? If so, it looks very nice.

Bill
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM

The Dolphin Beach House outside Clifden seemed quite eccentric although the host seemed very nice. However I didn't stay there.