Ireland in October?

Search

Ireland in October?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland in October?

In the early stages of planning a trip to Ireland next year.

We would have ideally liked to visit in Summer, however with the Olympics in London and work committments it looks more likely last week of Sept or early October.
Weather? What would we be likely to get weather wise in October.
Any suggestions.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Cool and damp. Or warmer and damp. Or hotter and damp. Or not damp. Or cold.

Weather is very variable even from day to day. It's unlikely to snow though.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Ireland has a very moderate climate all year round - the summers are cool and the winters are mild. There is a lot of damp weather - not heavy rain - but mist, drizzle and light rain is very common. So count on a little cool and a little damp - not cold and really heavy rain isn't that common.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies

Damp and mist I would be ok with. But lots of rain wouldn't be fun. Just trying to piece all the pieces together and some peoples comments are; that Ireland in October wouldn't be a good choice.

Of course who can predict the weather. But a general idea is helping make the choices
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM

September was cold windy and wet. October had been mild and fine winter is showing its hand now towards the end of November. Ireland is green because it rains but the grass needs sun as well so it seldom rains all day
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM

We only had 2 days of rain in Oct.in our 3 weeks but when it rained it surely did rain. Purchase a couple of plastic, disposible ponchos and forget the weather..Irish coffee should take away any chills.Ireland is delightful rain or shine!!!
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM

It;'s all a matter of perspective. When you're used to summer days that are 85 plus - sometimes 95 to 100 - with tropical drenching downpours in the afternoon - and winter with most temps below freezing and night with temps near zero and up to 25" of snow at times - all of the weather in Ireland is moderate in comparison.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Sorry - the first time I flew from Shannon to NYC i was sitting next to a young woman dressed in cords, a long-sleeve shirt and a fairly heavy wool sweater. She also had a jacket (not really heavy - but way too heavy for summer). As we came in to land the pilot announced the temp was 92 degrees - perfectly normal for July - and she turned to me and asked what was going on. I said "summer". Don;t know what else she had with her - but I just pictured her rushing out to a discount store to buy a completely different wardrobe.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Have visited Ireland three times, always in October, and the weather was fine each time. Cool evenings but not cold, mild days. Rain maybe one day in ten. All in all, quite enjoyable.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM

"But lots of rain wouldn't be fun. "

Who says?

It's simply a waste of mental energy to worry about rain in Ireland. But there are a couple of reasonably certain predictions:

- Over any period of seven days, there will be some
- There really is little significant difference between the average frequency or quantity of rain from one month to another.
- Rain in the British Isles is fundamentally different from rain in countries that are, in effect, inhabitable. There's relatively little of it for a start (most of he British Isles get less rain a year than rainsodden hellholes like New York or Tel Aviv). But, because it rains so frequently, those showers feel, for the few moments they last, a lot closer to a gentle cooling water atomiser than to the torrents they have to suffer in unbearable climates.

There's no such thing as bad weather (except in Australia, of course where it's the ONLY kind of weather you get). Just people too feckless to spend €10 on a pocket umbrella.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your replies.

Its looking more and more like it will be end of September and 1st week of October. Weather sounds like it will be just fine - well maybe not always fine and sunny. I'm excited let the planning begin!!

But first I will have to write another trip report. We have just returned from Italy.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM

We have gone twice, first time the 2nd and 3rd week in September of 2009 and the weather was great with just 1 rainy day. In 2010 we went the last week of September thru the first week of October and had mostly misty rain days/ partly cloudy weather; it was cooler than the previous year also. A good rain coat and waterproof shoes are a must. Be prepared and you will still enjoy your visit.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM

What you really need are layers (but not for really cold weather) a waterproof jacket with hood (not like a Fisherman's slick, just waterproof), waterproofed walking shoes and a sturdy folding umbrella. Many days just a long-sleeve shirt will be enough - some yuo may need a light cotton sweater on top - but not PLUS the jacket.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

I know we can never predict the weather. Because each year at a particular time it can always be different. I appreciate the responses, because it is always good to get feed back from people.

I will take all your recommendations on board, all the packing and travel hints.

I know I will love Ireland, rain, hail or shine and your reassurances are great.
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM

About 8 years ago we went to Ireland for 10 days in early october - we truly lucked out. Temps were mid 60's most of the time, had two 70 days. Only rained once in the morning of the day we did the ring of Kerry. Awesome trip.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kelly for your reply.

Well we have booked our flights and it looks like we will get to Ireland now in early September. So hoping that will be a good time for travel to Ireland.

Woohoo excited!
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM

aussie_10, we loved Ireland, albeit in June - so green compared to Australia!
We also loved the weather report we heard one day on the radio.. "there will be some rain in some regions, some of the time!" I think that sums up Ireland!
Enjoy.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:32 AM

"The sun is always shining in Ireland. It's just behind the clouds part of the time."

We really enjoyed the middle two weeks of September in 2007. But we enjoy Ireland any time we can get there.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your 1st hand experience replies.

This will be our first trip to Ireland and I know I will love it whatever the weather may be. But it is always good to get some insight.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I think you are doing really well to come in September - we had (albeit highly unusual)temperatures in late September last year of over 25 degrees centigrade. Regardless Dublin gets around 700mm of rain a year - nothing odd or unusual about that - just be prepared for the odd shower.
Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -