Reload this Page >

Ireland in October

Search

Ireland in October

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2001, 05:46 PM
M. Tris

Ireland in October

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland in October. Our 21-year old son will be meeting us in Dublin and we will spend 7-10 days traveling around in a rental car. My question is, is it necessary to have reservations for places to stay every night, especially in the more "rural" areas and at that time of year? We would like to be free to move around without being tied to hotel or B&B reservations, but don't want to chance having trouble finding a place to stay each night. Anyone have experience with Ireland in October? Thanks

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:50 AM
xxxx

I haven't been there in the fall, but I've been there in the Spring low season (before June) and there are PLENTY of "vacancy" signs out. I don't think you should have any problem finding lodging without reservations.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:42 AM
J

My husband and I were in October two years ago. We made all our reservations well in advance. Most of the places we stayed in were from the Hidden Ireland group (or something similar like Karen Brown) and we found that some of the places that we wanted to stay in were booked months in advance. Bottom line--if you have some favorite (and popular) places you have your heart set on, you should make them in advance. If you don't care too much about where you stay, then I'm sure you'll be able to find vacancies. Have a great trip.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:46 AM
D

I also drove around Ireland a few years ago - in July. We had no reservations and stayed at Bed and Breakfasts. Plenty of availability and when we found one we liked, we asked for a recommendation for another in our destination town and often they would call ahead for us so we knew where we were staying the next night. It was sort of hit or miss (there was one "miss" but that was part of the adventure for us. We were generally treated well and the hosts were always delighted that we ate very light breakfasts so they didn't have to get up early to put out the big spread for us.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:20 AM
Jody

I was there this past October and although we made reservations in advance, most places we stayed were not full and there were lots of vacancy signs around. I think that you will be fine at this time of the year. It is also a great time because it is not as crowded with tourists. We loved it!!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:22 AM
Cathy

M, <BR> <BR>Just watch out for the Bank holiday weekend in Ocotber - Halloween at the end of the month. <BR> <BR>Would suggest that you check out Hidden Ireland places as they are very different and great value - www.hidden-ireland.com <BR> <BR>Have a good time, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old May 22nd, 2001, 02:20 PM
Ryn

Just a caution: some accomodations are closed for the season by October, especially in areas that are off the usual tourist routes.