Reload this Page >

1st Time to Italy! Suggestions & Tips??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:04 AM
CB

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to Italy--for 2 weeks starting the last week of September. (We can't wait!) <BR>Thinking back to your first trip to Italy--what were some things you wish you had known, places you'd go back to again and again. <BR>So far I find researching hotels to be a challenge. Where to stay, how much to spend, where to splurge. <BR> <BR>Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Bob

We have made numerous trips to Italy, both on cruise ships and using our rented car. Areas we enjoyed the most would be Lake Como and Bellagio for its beauty, Venice (a must see for any visitor to Italy), Florence and Tuscany region and Rome. <BR> <BR>Having said all of that I would also say that we did not do all of that on one visit. One of the best times in Italy we ever had was when we rented a villa in Siena for one week and just explored Tuscany at leisure each day. We did not try to spend all our time on the highway to see all the big sites. <BR> <BR>My recommendation is to pick one area, north or south, limit yourselves to a few hotel changes and spend some time in each area to really appreciate it. Maybe Bellagio area, then over to Venice and then down to Tuscany. Save Rome for another trip on its own. <BR> <BR>Hotels we have used: Belvedere in Bellagio, Al Gambero in Venice, and Belvedere again in Portovenere in the Cinque Terre. All are nice, reasonably priced with clean rooms and breakfast included.

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:46 AM
ALW

I loved Italy. One thing to know, though, is to be prepared for some well-intentioned honking, etc. There's no harm in it, but your boyfriend may not appreciate it. <BR> <BR>I went down the Amalfi coast (Pompeii ROCKED!) all the way out to Sicily. I also was in Firenze, Venezia, Roma, etc. My brother's been to the Cinque Terra region and loved it. My parents swooned over Firenze. I, personally, prefer Roma -- it's an amazing (and EXTREMELY walkable) city. Don't bother with the crowded and be-pickpocketed public trans. unless you have to. Also -- all those warnings about the child beggars who approach you with newspapers or cardboard and then get your bum bag or pocket contents? They are true, but it's a situation easily avoided. <BR> <BR>Venezia was also beautiful -- and much, much quieter than any other region (because of the lack of cars, etc.). It may sound cheesey, but I went on the gondola ride and loved it. Touristy, yes, expensive, yes (you can walk away three times before they will come after you with the real rate -- it was 80,000 lira for 4 people when I was there in '93), but quiet, intersting, and definitely different. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:19 AM
JEG

My wife and I just came back from Italy. We went to Venice and loved it. Stayed at B&B - Hotel La Locanda di Orsaria (nice with modest price). Then drove to Florence B&B I Parigi (just outside city and took local bus into town everyday). Paid for a walking tour in Florence, which I would recommend. From there we drove to San Gimiagiano & Siena and back. Next we drove to MASSA MARITTIMA B&B - Hotel IL GIRIFALCO (Very scenic views, good & inexpensive option) and stayed one night before going to Roma. You can drive to Roma but just drop off auto as soon as you get there. In Roma we stayed at Hotel Des Artistes (OK, especially for younger tourists; near subway, train station and bus routes). We booked everything over the Internet without problems. Good Luck!

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Lexma90

I'll assume you're doing all the trip-planning stuff you should do, like read, read, read guidebooks, message boards, and all that, and you're thinking about what you two enjoy doing on your vacations. <BR> <BR>Things I wish I had known? You don't have to eat the breakfast the hotel serves - even if they quote you a price that includes breakfast, most of the time you can say no, and not be charged for something you can get for half the price at a cafe. Besides, what could be better than croissants & cappuccino on a streetside cafe in Italy? (I know, a glass of wine at that same cafe later in the day.) <BR> <BR>Place I would (and have) gone back to again and again: Tuscany, specifically San Gimignano (wonderful after the day-visitors have left), Florence, Venice and the Cinque Terre. <BR> <BR>I agree with the previous poster - choose an area to concentrate on, though you could definitely do the "big three," Roma, Florence & Venice, in two weeks. <BR> <BR>Unless you're a real city person, try to spend time in the countryside: Tuscany, Umbria, the Cinque Terre, and even the Lakes Region (though I've go to say, my husband and I thought the Lakes Region was way overrated. Beautiful, yes, but so is Tuscany & the Cinque Terre, and there's more culture/history in Tuscany & things like seafood and hiking in the Cinque Terre) <BR> <BR>We never splurge on hotels; we have that attitude of "how much time do you spend in your room." For us, 3-star hotels are just right - clean, private bathroom. We like to walk around in the evening and in the morning, so we always stay someplace where we can do that (as opposed to some beautiful place outside a village in the countryside). But we'll pay more for a hotel in a central location in a city (Florence or Rome), so we can walk to most of what we want to see. <BR> <BR>Have a great time planning!

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:31 AM
lyv

JEG ... could you tell me who you used for walking tour in Florence - were they good? expensive? how long? what did they cover? anything else you can think of??

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:00 PM
rlk

CB: <BR> <BR>Earlier this week I returned from my 4th trip to Italy --- and particularly since the exchange rate between US dollars & Italian lira is SO good (being very favorable if you're on the USD side), I wish I'd left or dumped all my clothes in Italy to give myself more suitcase space to bring things back. Oh, there's something for everyone --- whether you're a leather fan (purses/shoes/wallets/jackets) that are wonderfully crafted to the full range of ceramics (Deruta or interesting styles in Tuscany or Amalfi coast region) or 'alabaster' --- REALLY wanted to lug some beautiful pieces home from this wonderful store in Volterra (Tuscany region) of which this family going back 3 generations has been crafting & selling sculptures/items out of alabaster. <BR> <BR>You may not be a "stuff" person; the beauty of Italy is that it has so much to offer --- interesting cities, museums, exquisite natural beauty, and a cuisine that never disappoints. <BR> <BR>My suggestion is to draft a travel plan that's balanced. You should visit at least one, but no more than two of the "majors" (whether it be Rome & Florence or Florence & Venice or just one of these great cities) --- then you should also include one of the areas reknown for their geographical qualities -- the incredible rolling hills of Tuscan countryside or the unique cliffside towns of Amalfi coastline or charming villages of Cinque Terre. <BR> <BR>With this recent visit, I made my first visit to the Tuscany region --- stayed at a bed & breakfast stuck in the midst of a vineyard. I really enjoyed seeing the countryside. Bellisimo!

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:33 PM
CB

Great info! Thanks! <BR>Here is our tentative plan: Fly into Rome (stay 4 days); then to Amalfi coast--Positano (2-3 days)(excursions to Pompeii and Blue Grotto in Capri); then to Tuscany region (maybe Sienna ?) (2 days); then to Venice (4 days); finally fly out of Milan last day. All by train, except in Tuscany (we'll rent a car). <BR> <BR>Is this too much to do in 2 weeks? <BR>Suggestions on places to stay in Tuscany region? <BR> <BR>Lexma90: Yes, I have been reading a lot of guidebooks & info on the internet. I really like Rick Steves' books. Any other suggestions? <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 01:30 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

CB, Do not try to mix to mix the north and south destinations on the same trip. <BR>You will kill the time, and yourselves, <BR>just with the train time. You have some <BR>excellent advice here from the others and you should take heed. Here are some sample 2 week itineraires. Do not cut Florence and Tuscany short. It takes 3 two week trips to see Italy--do one good one now and plan to return. <BR> <BR>BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES <BR>________________________________________ <BR> <BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS: <BR> * Arrive and depart from Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel <BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria <BR>======================================== <BR>BELLA ITALIA: <BR> * Arrive Milan, depart Venice--15 nites--car & train travel--April thru Oct. <BR> * ITINERARY: The Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice <BR>======================================== <BR>CLASSIC ITALIA: <BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car & train travel, all year <BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan & Umbrian hilltowns, Rome <BR>======================================== <BR>LA DOLCE VITA: <BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 nites--car & train travel--March thru Oct. <BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscany hilltowns, Rome <BR>======================================== <BR>OF ALPS & LAKES: <BR> <BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep. <BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern <BR>======================================== <BR>These are merely intended to be sample itineraries. Every TRIP PLAN is unique <BR>and is designed to meet your personal travel style, budget, and preferences. <BR>________________________________________ <BR> <BR>BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:35 PM
rlk

CB- <BR> <BR>I'd give your proposed itinerary a thumbs up with a few alterations. First fly OUT of Venice, not Milan --- it'll take you several hours to get from Venice to Milan (think the EuroStar is at least 3 hr trip) & essentially waste your last day getting there. Malpensa Airport is an hour outside of the city; plus you really don't want to end such a lovely trip by having to trek all the way to Milan to return home. <BR> <BR>Also I'd give Tuscany at least 3 days (cut back on Venice from 4 to 3).

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:26 PM
CB

Thanks for the great information thus far. Now I'm really torn! Sounds like we should focus our itinerary a little. Any further suggestions about where to spend our time (over 2 weeks) would be great.

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:45 PM
mac

Well CB, I'm now going to confuse you with yet another opinion. I think you can get an overview of Italy in 2 weeks, but I agree you need to pencil in at least some time for Florence. <BR> <BR>Rome part 1 - 2 nights <BR>Sorrento-Amalfi - 3 nights <BR>Rome part 2 - 2 nights (splitting into 2 parts keeps travelling distances down) <BR>Siena - 2or 3 nights <BR>Florence - 2 <BR>Venice - 2 or 3 nights <BR>Fly out of Milan if airfares and schedules require it, in which case need to squeeze in a night in Milan. <BR>good luck. And by the way, we did a similar itinerary, and found the pace steady but not exhausting. <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Don

We loved the Scavi tour of the excavations under the Vatican.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:23 PM
CB

Great information! Thanks! <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for hotels in Rome, Venice, Positano or Tuscany region? Looking for something in a good location, clean and responsibly priced. <BR> <BR>Tips for getting from town to town by train?

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:30 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I'm going back to Italy this fall. I have files on the "big three" which I'll be happy to share if you email me. <BR>As for hotels, trying doing a search on this forum for each city--be patient, the search function is very slow-- <BR>e.g. Rome hotels <BR>you will find many great suggestions at all prices and amenities

Old May 18th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Shelly

Hi CB. My husband and I are also taking our first trip to Italy the first two weeks of September. This is currently our plan: fly into Milan (this was the only place we could fly into) and take train to Venice-stay five nights (we are also planning on visiting the islands-Torcello, Burano, & Murano), train from Venice to Modena (ferrari museum) for the day and then on to Florence-stay four nights with day trip over to Pisa, train from Florence to Sienna for the day and on to Rome-stay six nights with day trip to Amalfi coast and hopefully Capri, fly out of Rome. I'm not sure yet where we will store our luggage when we stop at Modena and Sienna for the day (at the train station?). Any suggestions from the board would be great. Good Luck planning your trip!

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:56 AM
rlk

Shelly: <BR> <BR>If you're going to do Siena as a day trip between Florence & Rome, what you should do is check your backs into the Florence train station (deposito baglio) --- and take the SITA bus from Florence to Siena (when I was in Siena last week, we drove, but most folks use bus from Florence to get there) --- THEN take bus back to Florence (think it's only 50 min or 1 hr trip) --- from Florence, take the EuroStar (ES) train down to Rome. The 'ES' is the fastest & nicest trains to ride on thru Italy. Florence to Rome run will take 1 hr. 35 minutes. You can check schedule on-line thru: www.fs-on-line.com <BR> <BR>And when doing so, don't forget to key in the correct names of the cities (we call it 'Florence', but it's actually 'Firenze' --- and 'Roma' rather than 'Rome'.

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Shelly

Thanks RLK for your help with the Sienna issue.

Old May 20th, 2001, 05:17 PM
richardab

Yes! Check out my websight. It has lots of info on Italy! <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:12 PM
CB

RLK: What is the name of the place you stayed (on a vineyard) in the Tuscany region? I am interested in doing the same and would love a recommendation. <BR> <BR>Thanks!