Ireland in 6 days Itinerary questions

Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Ireland in 6 days Itinerary questions

My friend and I leave for Ireland next week. As this is our first trip to Ireland, we decided to use only public transportation to get around. Our plans are to stay 4 days in Dublin. We have booked one day tour to the Wicklow mountains including Avoca and Glendalough. We will most likely book a rail tour that includes Waterford, Wexford, and Kilkenny. Anyone who has taken this tour please comment on your experience.

With respect to Dublin, are there any nearby areas or tours we should consider? Any suggestions for restaurants?

We will travel to Cork for two days and plan to see Cobh, Kinsale, and the Blarney Castle. Any suggestions for restaurants or sites in Kinsale and Cork are most appreciated. We tried to find day tours to Killarney from Cork but were unsuccessful so..

Next we plan on a very early train or bus ride to Killarney to hopefully take a tour of either Dingle Pennisula or Ring of Kerry through Dero Tours. Has anyone taken both these tours? If so, which one would you recommend? This is the only night we have not booked so any suggestions would be helpful. We are considering staying at the Beauty's Home B&B. Whereever we stay we would like to be within walking distance or short taxi ride to restaurants/pubs/shopping.

We will leave by rail for Limerick and take a bus to Bunratty for our last night before departing from the Shannon airport on St. Patrick's Day. Thank you to anyone who provides advice or suggestions.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Any advice or suggestions?
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

Lynn82,
I could not find Beauty's B&B. Your itinerary looks good. The train down to Cork is a nice trip. I don't know how you'll make side trips without a car in Cork. You may look into hiring a cab for a few hours. I've done it about 6 times without a car, but not in 6 nights.

Have a wonderful trip and report back on how it went. Joan
Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. My header is a little confusing. When I posted yesterday I meant we leave in 6 days. We will be in Ireland for 8 full days/nights. It is still a lot to cover without a car in that period of time. From Cork, there are buses that run to Kinsale and other areas. The train goes to Cobh so hopefully we can get to those locations at least. In order to get to Killarney in time for a 10.30 tour we have to leave Cork by train or bus around 6am. I had hoped we could get a day trip from Cork to Killarney that toured either the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Pennisula. I can't find one that operates in March. So we decided we would just try to get there for the day tour out of Killarney and then stay the night. We will have to leave for Bunratty the next day as that is our location for our last night before leaving. Thanks again Joan. If you have any advice please let me know such as not to miss sites, good restaurants, shopping etc..
Mar 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

Lynn82,
I posted a reply and I guess I hit the wrong button, as it hasn't shown up.

I think you'll have a lovely trip without a car, you have to slow down and you meet lovely people. You'll not have a green blur tour.

In 1997 I trained from Cork to Killarney and didn't have to change trains. There was another train that I would have had to change in Mallow. I don't know if you can get to Dingle by bus from Cork. If I could only stay one place in Kerry, I'd pick Dingle. ( That's just a personal opinion) Even Killarney, you might have to get a bus to Limerick. Killarney to Bunratty was one of my taxi trips. On second thought, it might be too hard to do Dingle this trip. Save it for your next trip.

As for Dublin I really like your one tour. You can do others on your own.

Again have a wonderful trip. Joan
Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM

We ate at Fishy Fishy in Kinsale. The food lived up to all the rave reviews I had read about it. We ate in the bigger of the two Fishy fishy's. I can't remember the address, but it was by the water. I highly recommend the White House Pub for music. We went around 8pm. It was crowded with locals, I think we were the only tourist. Everyone was so nice. It was the Ireland I had always dreamed about. Everyone sang with the the band, and cheered after the songs. It was so much fun! I loved Ireland and can't wait to go back. Have a great trip!
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:43 AM

I really enjoyed Mary Gibbon's tour from Dublin to Newgrange (and a stop at the Hill of Tara). Her historical commentary was interesting and Newgrange was a timeless treasure that I shall never forget.
http://www.newgrangetours.com/

One thing that I did not have a chance to do on my last visit and am hoping for time on this one is a bus to Trim. We plan to just hop on an a.m. bus and head to Trim for a look at the Castle and a pub lunch and hop back in the late afternoon back on the bus.

Another idea would be to hop on the train for a day in Belfast, or even the Ulster Folk Park and Transport Museum just outside of Belfast to the west.

Dawn

Search this Thread