Ireland in 6 Days - Itinerary Feedback needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to Ireland in early June for 6 days, flying into Dublin. I was going to bum around the city for the whole time but now think I might rent a car and get out a bit. I'm thinking two days in Dublin, then driving to Cork for one night, then driving to Galway for one night, then back to Dublin, with as many stops along the way as time allows. Is this to much driving? Maybe I should just visit one other town besides Dublin and venture out in the car from there? Which town? I'll be solo on this one so the idea is to be flexible, see as many sights as possible without feeling too rushed, and to keep it inexpensive. Any ideas/feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM

yeah, that seems like a lot of driving to me, at least in that amount of time. Have you booked your flights yet? Maybe do an open-jaw, fly into Dublin out from Shannon, or something like that.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM

For a non-local driver:
Dublin to Cork -- 4-6 hours
Cork to Galway -- 4-6 hours
Galway to Dublin -- 4-6 hours

Pick ONE other destination: Galway, Killarney OR Cork and plan 2 or 3 nights there.

You'll ENJOY Ireland rather than just SEE it.

Bob
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM

There are NUMEROUS Day tours out of

Dublin -- Newgrange, Wicklow (Glendalough and Powerscourt) The national Stud and EVEN, Belfast and the Giant's Causeway

Galway -- Connemara, Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher

Killarney -- Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry Dingle

If you do a search of 'Ireland Car Hire', you MIGHT find that for such a short time, it is cheaper and easier to take the train and then do a couple of Small bus tours.

Bob
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of picking just one other town to maybe drive to and made a "home base" for a couple of days. If you had to pick just one other town to stay in, which one would you pick?
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Most people might be tempted to nominate places that they enjoyed visiting, but the real question is where you might enjoy yourself most. It would help if you told us a little about the sort of things you think you would like.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Good point Padrig. I like history of all types, music, great natural outdoor scenery and a good glass of beer. As such, I'm leaning towards Kilkenny or maybe Dingle if I can make it out that far. I do like to drive as well.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Most people think Kerry wins for scenery, but it's a bit of a long haul from Dublin for a short visit, and the drive itself is not enormously interesting.

Kilkenny is an attractive small city in an area that is not particularly scenic (although it's not too bad - just no significant mountains and no coastline). There are many interesting buildings in and near the city, including castles and monastic or ecclesiastic remains.

My own preference for a short break from Dublin would be to head for Galway (three hours, plus time for a stop at Clonmacnoise for the monastic site) and then tour Connemara -- I have a special affection for that place.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Kilkenny has my vote as well, it's a delightful medieval city, I've been there several times, and I like the same things you do. No, it doesn't compare to the scenery on the coast, but day trips to Cashel, Cahir, Jerpoint, etc. will certainly take care of the history bug. The city itself has wonderful churches, the castle, and a great design centre. Kyteler's Inn has great music and pints
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Either Kilkenny or Galway would be my favorite.

Green Dragon has mentioned several places from Kilkenny. I would add New Ross and the DunBrody famine ship, a trip down to Hook Head and the lighthouse, Johnstown Castle (which is now an agricultural college) and its gardens, Tintern Abbey ruins (founded by monks from Tintern in Wales), Kilmore Quay, a charming village of thatched houses and a hopping off point to the Saltee Islands(home to many migrating birds).

If Galway is the choice, explore Connemara, a stunningly beautiful region. Take a day trip to the Aran Islands. Aughnanure Castle is near Oughterard. Swing down to the Burren, the Pulnabrone portal dolmen,the Cliffs of Moher and Ailwee Cave. The flowers on the burren are at their peak in May and June. Galway itself is a fun city. If you stay just outside the city center in Salthill, there is a beach to walk and busses run regularly into the city to avoid parking problems. There is a bus which circles the city and gives a good overview of the sights, which are in easy walking distance of each other. Dunguaire Castle in Kinvarra has a medieval banquet which features readings from Ireland's great writers and folk tales told. Leenane at the head of Killary Harbor (considered to be a fiord) is a scenic village and has many craft shops and some demonstrations of crafts.

have a great trip!