Ireland Golf - hacker advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Ireland in September for our honeymoon and want to play at least one round of golf while we're there. My fiance shoots about 100-105 and I don't even know what I shoot, I just like to be out there. Where can we play that won't ask for our handicap or expect us to zip through the course? Just want to be able to enjoy the experience. Thanks
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Should have added that we'll be mainly on the west coast, Dingle-Connemara-Galway.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 01:53 AM

To play golf in Ireland without giving up your firstborn (i.e., paying an arm and a leg) two courses cone to mind: Spanish Point, just down the road from Miltown-Malbay in County Clare, is a 9-hole Executive links course -very nice. And there's a 9-hole island course near Ross'a Veal, Connemara called Connemara Isles that's a really interesting layout. The Clubhouse is the last one in the Irish Republic with a thatched roof. Take the causeway toward Carraroe from Roaa'a Veal, turn right after the Texaco station, and follow the road.

I have played them both. Of the two, Spanish Point is much more typical of the 'Links' golf in the British Isles.

Each of those courses was able to rent me a set of clubs.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:35 AM

Forgot to mention: You will be walking.
Neither of the courses I recommended have 'Buggies' but they will rent you a 'trolley' (i.e., pull-cart). If you want to ride, you'll have to go to one of the more expensive courses (Lahinch, for example). I don't know about Tralee.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:47 AM

You won't have any trouble as long as you don't try to get on one of the "big" courses. My husband and I are both long-term beginners and haven't broken 100 yet, and we won't have any problems playing the public courses.

Ask at the hotel or B&B where you'll be staying--they'll be able to direct you to the local courses.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Play the 9 hole Castlegregory course. It is wonderful. We planned to play only 9 holes but enjoyed it so much we played it twice. It's beautiful, very relaxed and reasonably priced.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Sorry, I meant Ross'a Veal - typo!

I piggy-backed some pix: Spanish Point and Connemara Isles on a site URL: http://groups.msn.com/IrelandPictures-GolfMore

You might like to take a look at them.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM

We played Connemara Championship Golf Links outside of Clifden in October and thought it was wonderful (http://www.connemaragolflinks.com/index.htm). We made tee times the day before and had no problem getting on. Cost was around $50 euro, and they also had riding carts which came in handy. The scenery was breathtaking and the layout next to the sea was a lot of fun. We also played Ballybunion, but it was significantly more difficult (and expensive). Tee times there are already fairly booked up for 2005. The course Ned mentions in Ross'a Veal was fun, but it is off the beaten path a bit and needed a little face lift. Having said that, the clubhouse is very interesting, the owner is a joy, and the scenery was also beautiful! Cost in October was about 15 euro, and you can play all day for that amount if you like.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:17 AM

The Connemara club that Steeleyes mentions is the first place I ever played 18 holes. Prices must have gone up, because we played it three years ago, and think it was around 25 euro per person. They also didn't have carts (or buggies as they call them) at that point. I think having a cart kind of spoils the links course experience. We lost a ton of balls because if you hit into the rough, it's gone. It's a beautiful course, and the scenery is amazing. And you'll likely see massive hares hopping about the place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM

You can rent clubs at most courses but I would advise bringing a dozen or so golf balls from the 'States.' Golf balls are very expensive in Ireland and wooden tees almost non-existent.

The prices some people quote may be out-of-date. At my favorite course in all the world: Carne Golf links just outside Belmullet in County Mayo, Greens Fees were 35 Euro in 2003 and increased to 50 Euro in 2004. But It was worth every Euro cent.

At Spanish Point, David Fitzgerald, the Course Manager charged me 25 Euro including rental clubs and a 'trolley' (i.e., pull-cart). Maybe he gave me a 'deal' because I have a Clare County surname that I share with one of the Golf Club 'Board' members.
BTW
I don't think David is related to the Fitzgerald's who run a B&B in nearby Miltown-Malbay.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 03:33 AM

Yes, bring balls with you--they are really expensive here.

One thing with rental clubs is that a lot of courses don't have ladies (or left-handed) clubs for rent.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. I think that we are going to try and play while we are in Dingle since we will be staying there the longest. Does anyone have the website for Castlegregory?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:23 AM

I think it's www.Castlegregory-golfclub.com. Enjoy.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM

Golf is expensive in Ireland. Why not just play a few pitch-putt courses? We did, and had great fun. They'll lend you a couple of balls and clubs. Try the little course in Doolin, right down near the water, with a killer view of the Cliffs of Moher.