Reload this Page >

Golf course in Southern Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Debbie

Hi - <BR> I am taking my father along on the next trip to Ireland ( spring 2003) . <BR> Do any of you know if there are any golf courses that we could stop at to see? He won't have his clubs along, but would probably enjoy looking around a bit. <BR><BR>thanks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:22 PM
kfferg

Tons of websites that you could peruse depending on where you will be staying... just search for Ireland and golf. That said, you might look at Old Head in Cork or Ring of Kerry near Kenmare. Tralee is spectacular but extremely difficult to find... too far off the beaten path for just a look. If he really get the itch to play, he could always rent some clubs.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Jinx Hoover

Debbie,<BR>There are a number of golf courses to view and to play. Unfortunately, most require a reservation well in advance. Your father might luck out and get on. Worth a try.<BR>How old is your dad? All courses are walking only. And many of the links (seaside) are pretty tough, especially in inclement weather.<BR>Killarney has two pretty parkland courses. Ballybunion has two beautiful links. Tralee is scenic (rather hard to find). Lahinch, Doonbeg, Old Head, European Club--all are excellent links. And just north of Dublin is Portmanoch.<BR><BR>Regards, <BR><BR>Jinx Hoover

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Ann

During the week, I've never had a problem getting on any courses in Ireland. Now, I haven't tried the very top courses, like the Royal County Down, etc., but there are a ton of courses that you can walk right on to.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Stephen

Also, not all courses are walking only. Some have carts. Not all, but a fair amount.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Debbie

Thanks for the input so far. <BR><BR>Dad is a very active 67. He golfs as much as possible here at home, but usually uses a cart. If he does decide to play, I am sure he would want a cart in Ireland too. <BR><BR>We are going for 2 full weeks, so I am sure we could plan the golf day for a weekday. <BR><BR>We will need a course that is easy to drive to , and is either in the Kilkenny/Waterford , Cork or Killarney area. <BR><BR>Thanks again for any suggestions.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:48 PM
golf

If you're in the east Cork area try Fota Island golf course

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Krista

Why not stay a night in Ashford Castle and play golf there? That's where I am taking my husband to play at. The pictures are wonderful!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:46 AM
bill

One of the most spectacular courses on the planet is the course at The Old Head at Kinsale. Very expensive and if it's raining or the weather is terrible in any other way, too bad. None-the-less, amazing course from what they say. I certainly haven't played it.<BR><BR>Krista: I have played at the Ashford Castle and found the course to be something quite a bit short of spectacular. When I played it in late April, it was not at all manicured. It was cool to play at a castle, but I've played nicer $15.00 nine hole course in the US. If you have to rent clubs, you'll find the quality fairly lacking and bring your own golf glove. They didn't have any. That was three years ago. Maybe it's improved.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Krista

Well, for my husband and I Ashford Castle is perfect because I don't play golf and he does, so I am going to go to the Spa and go horseback riding. Not to mention staying in a castle is an experence in itself. I read some where that Ashford course is a wonderful corse to go to.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:05 AM
bill

Krista:<BR><BR>I'm really not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. I just want to say, if your husband is really looking forward to the Irish golf experience, the Ashford Castle will not be his best choice. It is a nine hole couse and I remember it to be very short. Perhaps not a par three, but still very short. The course had not been recently mowed. Granted, there had been a lot of rain, but there always is. There were tiny white wild flowers growing in the fairways and determining rough vs fairway wasn't easy. On many of the guides to the area, they will point out that there are many fine courses in the area, including, Westport, the Conemarra course and I think there is a Galway Bay course.<BR><BR>I'm sure that the people at the castle will tell you that it is fabulous and anyone trying to sell a trip there will tell you the same. I played there on a very "soft" day, so there was a bit of a mist off an on. I was the only one on the course. For about E25, he'll get a pull cart, a set of poor quality clubs, a sleeve of balls and his round of golf. The golf is complimentary actually. If he brings his own stuff, it'll be free. The couse is for the exclusive use of the guests.<BR><BR>Once again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. He would certainly be able to have fun on the course and the view from the ninth tee down to the castle with Loch Corrib beyond is wonderful. Still, if he wants to make a road trip and play something more challenging, it wouldn't be impossible.<BR><BR>Anyone else have thoughts on this course?<BR><BR>Bill

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Krista

He actually doesn't want to play while we are over there, I want to go horseback riding and golf was an option for him while staying there. Schedule wise, I think he is going to actually play at Dromoland Castle when we stay there. And if you have several people going and only one plays golf, it can be very hard to make plans for that one person to play if there aren't options for others. That's why playing at one of the castles is going to work well for us.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:08 PM
John

You mention Kilkenny/Waterford area.<BR>Some lovely courses. Near kilkenny is Mount Juliet - fabulous situation - top of the range. Near Waterford are Waterford Castle - on an island but easily accessible, again stunning; Faithlegg across the river is beautiful and Tramore about 6 miles from Waterford is a lovely course also. Not sure about Faithlegg but all the others definitely have carts. there are plenty more in that region. Good luck!