Ireland- Giants Causeway

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 09:06 PM
Marie

Ireland- Giants Causeway

I was wondering if anyone has been to Northern Ireland, in particular to see the Giants Causeway. Is it worth making the trip from Belfast to see? How long does it take by car from Belfast? Anything else we shouldn't miss while we are in that area? Thanks very much.

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 11:17 PM
George

Yes, definitely worth seeing the Giant's Causeway. How long will it take, guess it depends on which way you go and how many stops you make along the way. The coastal route is beautiful and will take several hours, depending on how often you stop to take photos and explore. Some sites I like for planning:

http://www.ireland.travel.ie
http://www.irelandyes.com
http://www.irelandexpert.com

Cheers, George

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 02:21 AM
bella

Hi Maria

I have a video clip and some notes on the Antrim coast I could email if I had you email address. You could try www.getaway.com.au
and go into Europe where you will find it listed. It's certainly worth the trip up there if you like villages and coastal country towns.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Elsa

Definitely see Giants Causeway. We came from Dublin, so I don't know the time from Belfast.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Danna

Marie,

I think the Giant's Causeway was nice... It wasn't a breathtaking event however. We found the Glenariff Forest Park Waterfall path was much more impressive, and worthy of visiting. It's outside Glenariff (Waterfoot) and is magical. The Causeway is a smaller site than it looks in the pictures, but the ocean is great. It's nice and while you are there, you might as well see it was how someone told us on our visit. Glenariff on the other hand is amazing. Anne Carey's Meadows B&B in Cushendall is a lovely place, won a national award. We also stayed at Maonor House B&B in Portballintrae near the Causeway, right on the ocean, it was lovely too. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Lynn

Hi Marie:
I would definitely recommend seeing the Giant's Causeway and further exploration of the area will take you to Dunluce Castle and Garrick a rede (sp?)(a rope bridge used to get to a rock outcropping for the fishermen to set their nets). We drove from Belfast through some gorgeous scenery seeing all the wonderful shades of Ireland's green. We stopped for my first real "Irish coffee" in a pub......I can still taste it, sipping the hot coffee and liquor through fresh cream........mmmm
It may be that walking out on the causeway and being close to the sea doesn't excite everyone as it did me, but the whole experience of your day will.
Enjoy!
Lynn

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Lee

The Giant's Causeway is well worth seeing. While in the area also see Carrick a Rede rope bridge and also Dunluce Castle, as Lynn suggested. The drive up the Antrim coast is beautiful. You could also carry on and take a tour of Bushmills Distillery.
Have fun.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 04:00 PM
david

By all means make the trip to the Giant's Causeway. The trip from Belfast to the Causeway is most impressive, especially if the weather is on your side. To get there simply travel west along the Antrim coast. On the way you can stop in Carrickfergus to see the castle. It's worth a stop, but the town is drab and very much sectarian (anti Catholic) in its outlook. Before getting to the Causewsay, cross the invigorating Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, and have a pint at the ivy-covered Londonderry Arms. It was once owned by Winston Churchill. As for the Causeway, it's simply wonderful, but can best be enjoyed either very early or late in the day. The vistor center is particularly good (a nice place for lunch), and the hike out to the Causeway - the one that overlooks the Causeway - is terrific. If the weather is good, skip the courtesy bus out to the Causeway, and make the hike. Bring plenty of film when you visit the Causeway, and marvel at this fascinating oddity of nature. It's well worth the journey. By the way, I strongly suggest that you have dinner in nearby Portrush at The Ramore restaurant. It's located right along the harbor, and it makes for a memorable end to fine day along the Antrim coast. Finally, do take the time to do the Bushmills Distillery tour. It's quite interesting; unfortunately, the town of Bushmills is rather dismal, chock full of Union Jacks and anti-Nationalist/Catholic sentiments (e,g., the housing project directly across from the distillery).

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 04:24 PM
Cathy

Marie,
Not sure when you are planning your trip but most of Northern ireland visitor attractions that involve countryside and crossing land etc are closed due to Foot and Mouth. Check out whether you can walk along the paths etc before planning to head to the Causeway.

Cathy