Ireland Entry and Moving About Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on a budget. I'll be in England for a few weeks, probably 2.5 - 3. Is it more economical to take ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare or from Holyhead to Dublin?

(I know, I know, I've been advised before not to take the ferry, but I've been looking for cheap flights from GB to Ireland and can't seem to find any. Will change mind if I can find a flight in the future.)

The ferry tickets cost more for the latter, cheaper for the prior. But I plan on going to Dublin so would it make sense to just pay the extra to get to Holyhead (probably from Bath or Bristol) and then the more expensive ferry tickets?

I'll be in Ireland for about 1 week, but probably for more like 9 days. Does it make more sense to stay based in larger cities and take day trips to see the places I want to see (like Bunratty Castle, Bru na Boinne, Ring of Kerry....) or should we (boyfriend and I) just travel and stay as we go?

Tank you
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are flights from England to Dublin, Cork, Shannon, and several other airports. W/ advance purchase the fares can be very VERY low.

Taking a ferry to Dublin usually doesn't make sense unless you are in NW Wales anyway. And Rosslare ferries leave from far SW Wales.

W/ the extra time involved getting to coastal Wales and across the Irish sea - it will essentially eat up an entire day.

What airlines have you tried?
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM

Oh - didn't address your main issue

Newgrange/Dublin are on the opposite side of the country from RoK/Dingle. Dublin is a fine base for your east side sites. But you can't base in cities to visit sites on the scenic west coast. Even Cork is too far from most of the sites to make a decent base.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: the flights - you are traveling a year or more from now, correct? Keep an eye out. I'm looking for flights to Italy next May and Kayak doesn't even have schedules yet. You want advance purchase, absolutely, but a year ahead is just not realistic. Start looking in earnest in a few months. Believe me, flying will save you time and tons of energy over the ferry. I'm all for advance planning, but over a year out, it's very difficult to make train/plane/ferry/hotel/hostel reservations - many people and companies just aren't taking them.

For your nine days in Ireland, I'd base in Dublin for a few days, then move to the west side. You could base in Killarney/Kenmare or Dingle for Kerry, and then move to Ennis to see the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, and that area and then fly home from Shannon. I would *not* try to base in more than three places unless one is a last night close to the airport.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM

Oh - I didn't realize this was for next year! If that is so -- there is no way at all you know what the fares will be yet. You will save tons of time -- and probably money -- by flying.