COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

10days in ireland next week

Old May 13th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

10days in ireland next week

We are plannng for spending 10 days in ireland next week. Weather forecast said temperature is about 5-13 degrees. Will it be unbearably cold?

This is our first trip to ireland amd we will probably take the train plus ferry option from london. Considering whether to drive or take the train in ireland, if we are to travel along the south or south western regin like cork. Any advice on that and suugested points or towns of interest?
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Next Week!

I will assume that the Rail and Sail option is because of the cost factor, short notice flights and heavy charges for light baggage.

Ireland can be done by public transport but again you have to consider that you will be limited to key centres and the baggage you are carrying. left luggage places at intermediate bus stops will be limited or non existent. In fact Cork bus station has just last month stopped this facility.

What are your interests. have you any must see places. age group (not being personal, Temple Bar is great for the 18-30 crowd but not the over 50's for example.)

You might as a rough idea from the top of my head working blind consider Dublin 3 days, Galway 2 or 3 Days. Ennis/Limerick overnight. Killarney 2 or 3 days. Cork 1 or 2 days back to Dublin.

I use Stena Line for ferry crossing in preference to Irish Ferries. http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/
you can book at any mainline station but you need to request tickets to Dublin Connolly station otherwise Dublin defaults to IF crossings.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

we haven't 100% decided on going to ireland mainly because of our concern on the weather. it doesn't seem too much of concern to u guys living there i suppose?!

we plan to take train and ferry from london mostly because it seems more fun than taking a plane.

we are 40's and 60's and love the nature, photography and local culture. not too into history though.

from what i've read so far, i think galway, kilarney and cork seem very much must-sees.

does it make any sense to u if we take a train from dublin to cork, and then rent a car from there to tour around kilarney and/or ennis/limerick, returning to cork and then fly out back to london?
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM

I'll leave the logistics to the experts -- we had a car and glad we did. Here are some photos of Killarney, Dingle and Galway from last August if that helps.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/ireland.html
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks much!
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:33 AM

If your baggage is within the local flight weights to fly back then no problem if the price is right. even flying both ways. From London you can fly into Cork or Shannon or Dublin. If you can hire a car all the better.

The usual recommendation is to pack layers with a light waterproof. and the weather here at the moment is pretty good although a bit of wind chill. Heck if the weather suits you in London then it is exactly the same climate over here except prettier.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:24 AM

It's been glorious all weekend - I got sunburned walking Dun Laoghaire pier - it was cold at times though, around 13/14 degrees. Another beautiful day today although thunder and rainshowers are forecast later. Tony said it - wind chill is the key - don't wrap up too warm or you will roast alive, but you need a light mac or similiar that will keep the wind out.
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:26 AM

PS I wouldn't do rail and sea if you paid me. Plane is hundreds of times easier. Plenty of other ways to have fun!
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for the comments. so we'll prepare to go to ireland then.

sounds like flying into and out of ireland is more sensible choice. if we want to cover dublin, galway, kilnarney and cork, and don't want a round trip, how should the itinerary go? which airports apart from dublin has more flights to london? we'll be staying near paddington.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Cork, Kerry and Shannon airports all have flights to London (Cork and Shannon have a good few; Kerry is just one a day or maybe not even that). Best to figure out where you would like to end up and see if that fits in with the flight timetables.

Cork airport is really central, so if you did a trip that went dublin, galway, kilnarney and cork in that order you could fly back with a minimum of fuss from Cork - just google "cork airport" and you will find timetables.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Aer Lingus fly into Cork and Shannon from Heathrow and Gatwick. Then it depends if you are Public transport or driving.

I will assume Public transport. Fly into Dublin for a couple of nights. Then City link or Gobus direct to Galway. Tours from there to the Connemara, Aran isles or Cliffs and Burren.

Bus/train to Limerick and on to Killearney, day tours to Dingle or the ring of Kerry, Jaunty cart for the National Park or Molls Gap.

Cork as the final stop. Train to Cobh, If you can get a tour to Beara thats a must? Blarney castle. I have done Kinsale before flying out from Cork as it is south of the airport but it depends on flight times and you would have your bags as well.

Dublin and Galway don't need a car so the bus from Galway to Shannon airport (onthe Galway,Limerick,Cork route) and hire a car for Kerry and Cork?
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Dyslexia fight back!! Killarney,