Ireland - Cork/Cobh

Search

Ireland - Cork/Cobh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland - Cork/Cobh

Looking for some advice on a potential trip to Cork/Cobh Ireland. My wife is physically limited in terms of being able to walk more than a 1/4 mile or so. Steep hills are out of the question. She's be asking me about taking a trip to the Cobh area since that where her ancestors emigrated from when they came to America about 100 years ago. All the reading I've done on that area leads me to believe that it's a very hilly terrain. I'm hoping some folks are personally familiar with the area and can give me some good advice as to whether this potential trip is a good, or bad, idea.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Cobh is a small waterside town nestling into a hill. A visit to the waterfront area should be quite manageable for a person with a walking difficulty. The heritage centre is also manageable. The cathedral might have to be omitted. On balance, I think you could get to see enough interesting things to merit a visit.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Agree with Padraig that the Cobh should be doable, None or not many stairs and plenty of places to sit and take a break. Nice to sit outside by the small monument ands watch Cobh Harbour. Cork is a City, again plenty of places to to sit and take a break. If you get out in the Cork contryside then hills could be a problem. If you are in that area Kinsale is a compact fairly flat little village that you might take a look at. Have fun
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Padraig and JOHNOD. Sounds like the trip would be OK for my wife. One other question for you. Because of my wife's health condition, she is constantly cold (even to the point of wearing a fleece jacket in the high 70's and low 80's during the summer here) so, in terms of weather, what are the best times to visit that area for a 7-10 day trip?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM

She's going to need her fleece jacket plus some other aids to maintaining body temperature whenever she visits! I hope the ever-present possibility of some rain is not also a problem for her. A lightweight rain jacket over a fleece might work very well for shower protection and a bit of additional heat insulation.

July and August temperatures are typically 65-70 degrees, but September might be a better bet -- just a little cooler, but fewer people around because schools will have re-opened. That could be a blessing in terms of pedestrian traffic.

There are great routes for scenic tourism in the area, and the coastal villages generally have some good level areas where she will be able to move about. In particular, if you and she like harbour areas, you should find plenty of manageable bits.

It sounds like she has the courage to undertake a big trip despite health problems. I think that is wonderful. Tell her that I applaud her, and hope all goes well. I am sure that she will not be too disappointed to give kissing the Blarney stone a miss.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM

I agree that Cobh near the Immigration Exhibition center is doable. since her ancestors sailed from here, it would probably be quite interesting to her. The last time I was there, there was parking down on the water front. There were some restaurants in the area facing the harbor.

It is a steep walk up to the cathedral but you might find parking up there and be able to walk in.

Do you have a handicap tag, the kind you hang on the mirror? It is recognized in some other countries and some locals might be able to help you whether that plan would work or not.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM

I agree that Cobh near the Immigration Exhibition center is doable. since her ancestors sailed from here, it would probably be quite interesting to her. The last time I was there, there was parking down on the water front. There were some restaurants in the area facing the harbor.

It is a steep walk up to the cathedral but you might find parking up there and be able to walk in.

Do you have a handicap tag, the kind you hang on the mirror? It is recognized in some other countries and some locals might be able to help you whether that plan would work or not.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM

I will assume you are going to be hiring a car for your trip which will make everywhere accessible (you can park by the Cathedral) I would consider staying closer to Cork or over by Kenmare if you are planning a week in the southwest corner as Cobh itself is out on a spur and not favoured as a touring base.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM

OP has probably been and gone.